1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg B-Stock PF-800? Cab Recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by broken keyboard, Feb 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. broken keyboard

broken keyboard

Feb 28, 2016
    Hey guys, I'm quite new and eager to learn bass (played guitar for many years, acoustic & electric). I'm trying to get a nice rig to learn on yet not break the bank. But I don't want to buy low quality gear that I'll regret buying later or gear that's not powerful enough to jam with a guitar and drummer when I'm ready.

So I seen Ampeg-Direct had one remaining B-Stock PF-800 and I grabbed it. From reading the threads here on TB this amp seems to be a popular choice. I was a little leery buying B-stock but it did state in the description that it has been checked out and and tested by Ampeg technicians, may contain minor cosmetic blemishes, but carries a full manufacturer's warranty. So I'm hoping going B-stock wasn't a mistake and that if the amp did originally have some issues, that they've been addressed and properly repaired and it's now a reliable amp (fingers crossed). :thumbsup:

Assuming the amp is working as it should, I was wondering if I should buy one of the the cabs that was designed to go with this amp, such as the PF-210HE or the PF115HE? Those aren't easy to find used and when you do, they usually aren't priced much less than new (couldn't find them in B-stock, either).

So I guess what I'm asking is... Do I have to go with one of those cabs designed for the PF-800? And if not, what other cabs would be a good match that I might be able to find used? Any recommendations or experience with other cabs would really be appreciated. I'd like to keep the cost down to around $300 if possible. Thanks

Ox MJC likes this.
  2. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    You don't have to go with Portaflex cabs, but they sound very very good with a PF800, in my experience.
    Since you don't want to break the bank, I highly recommend two Portaflex cabs, which will last a long time, I'm sure.
    Tonewise and volumewise you'll be more than fine, IMHO.
    You choice in cabinets is important, because they can influence your sound a lot.

spaz21387 likes this.
  3. broken keyboard

broken keyboard

Feb 28, 2016
    I don't understand, you're recommending I buy TWO Portaflex cabs? How does that not break the bank? I mentioned I'd like to try and stay at around $300 or less if possible and you recommend I buy two PF cabs? OK, then. I appreciate the recommendation as I can see it looks like you have two Portaflex cabs in your avatar. But that's just out of my budget right now. I'd still like to know what other cabs mate well with the PF-800 that I might find on the used market.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  4. There are a ton of used cabs you can go with. It doesn't have to even be an Ampeg cab. That is a matter of eye candy. At $300 your choices will be limited as it will need to be able to accept at least 400 watts input power (8 ohm cab), don't even go with a 4 ohm cab with the PF-800. You have a great sounding amp, but with a cheap limited power input cab it will be like pedalling a bike uphill with the brakes applied. Stay with quality cabs as they are better than half the combination even if a second cab becomes a distant purchase to get higher volume levels.

spaz21387 and SirMjac28 like this.
  5. broken keyboard

broken keyboard

Feb 28, 2016
    Thanks, good to know I don't have to go Ampeg. I realize however that those cabs are designed to go with this amp, and yes the eye candy factor is there. But mounting the amp to the top plate is not important to me. Even if I got one of those cabs I doubt I'd mount it to the top. You have made me realize though how important the cab is. Once question I have is why is it not advised to go with a 4 ohm cab? If I were to get two Portaflex cabs, as recommended above, wouldn't two of those 8 ohm cabs connected to the PF-800 bring the load down to 4 ohms?

6. Yes, but then the power handling by the two cabs is doubled. A single 4 ohm cab would have to be along the lines of a modern Ampeg 810. Too easy for random peaks (like a string hitting a pickup) to pop a low power handling cab. You might look for one of the SVT410 series cabs (same brand for the eyes).

SirMjac28 likes this.
  7. broken keyboard

broken keyboard

Feb 28, 2016
    Thanks for the advice. There's an SVT810 near me for $300. Seller states it works perfect but looks pretty rough! Same brand for the eyes, lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. $40.00 for some DuraTex and sandpaper and it will look great!

9. shaginwagin

shaginwagin

Apr 2, 2012
    Arizona
    Hell yes, I'd buy that for 300!

10. broken keyboard

broken keyboard

Feb 28, 2016
    There's another SVT-810E near me that's in "like new, barely been used" condition. Asking $650. Which one is the better deal?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well obviously the $300 one is cheaper, but the newer looking one is more recent, requires no fixing up to look good, and is made with real wood instead of chipwood like the older one.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Yes, you have to! Now get moving, Mister! :eyebrow:

OK seriously, those Ampeg cabs likely are "designed" for the PF-800 in the same way that Ford hubcaps are "designed" to go with a Ford automobile. That is to say, probably all about marketing "design", not so much engineering "design", if you get my drift. ;)

MM

RiZzBot likes this.
  13. broken keyboard

broken keyboard

Feb 28, 2016
    Yeah good point. And as was pointed out earlier "At $300 your choices will be limited." I'm finding that statement to be very true. But heck I did manage to find an Ampeg cab that's compatible and can handle the power of my PF-800 as well as being in my budget and is local to me.

I know it aint pretty but as long as it functions properly it should sound great, wouldn't you say? I think it might just be the one. And with a little cleaning up and fixing I'm pretty sure I can make it look decent. 8x10 is a beast.

So the $300 one is within my budget. I wasn't aware the older one is made with different wood. Thanks to Jimmy for pointing that out. But as long as the wood is structurally sound and not cracked or anything, it shouldn't be a deal breaker, should it? Any other differences between the newer and older one I should know, that might be a deal breaker, about before I make a decision?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Other than the wood, probably not. That's a 90's model, and despite the chipboard, it's got a good sounding set of speakers in it. If it was made between 2000 and 06, that would be a different story, since those speakers are very dark sounding.

15. broken keyboard

broken keyboard

Feb 28, 2016
    Good to know. I'm pretty new here on TB but I'm well aware of your superior knowledge and presence on these boards. So thank you, Jimmy, for weighing in and sharing your advice. Much appreciated.

May I ask how you can tell it's a 90's model? And how to tell if the speakers are original when I go look at it?

JimmyM likes this.
  16. cazclocker

cazclocker My social skills are rapidly dwindling.

Oct 24, 2014
    Newton, Kansas
    Broken Keyboard, 'scuse me for butting in, but I have to ask...what is Ampeg direct? I've been on Ampeg's website, but I've never noticed a section called Ampeg direct. I'm curious.
    Oh, and WELCOME to Talkbass!

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I can tell because it has no speakon jacks. And you can tell if it has original speakers by pulling the grill off and looking at them. They look like this:

ampeg-svt-810e-classic-471796.

cazclocker likes this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ampeg Direct sells B-stock Ampeg items on Ebay, but they are not affiliated with Ampeg or LOUD. I don't know the mechanics of the deal, but Hodgy has stated that it's a separate company.

cazclocker likes this.
  19. cazclocker

cazclocker My social skills are rapidly dwindling.

Oct 24, 2014
    Newton, Kansas
    Ahh..okay. Thanks!

20. broken keyboard

broken keyboard

Feb 28, 2016
    Thanks, Jimmy. I hope the cab looks as clean and speakers all intact like the one in your pic when I pull off the grill. And if it doesn't, should I walk? I assume it's rather important for it to be all original and in good clean condition, like the one in your pic, correct?

Thanks for the warm welcome. Ampeg_Direct via eBay: ampeg_direct on eBay

SirMjac28 likes this.