Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B1 Rack Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirk, Mar 24, 2002.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Any info on this Preamp. There is one on Ebay for about 270 bucks.. When was it made, etc. Is this a good price?

2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    As far as I could see on the Ampeg website, this B1 preamp seems to be a discontinued model, since I did not find it.

Please can you post the url of the eBay auction ?

All the best,

3. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    My guess (purely speculation) is that it is the preamp from the B2, without the power section. I think it is discontinued though.

I'd imagine it sounds similar to ampegs B series.

4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Seems it has nothing to do with the current B series, except the solid state technology. It does not have the 9-band EQ. Though, it has a balanced XLR out, it's an Ampeg (and somewhat you can't go wrong with an Ampeg...), and regarding to its immediate sale price it seems a good deal. The photo seems to show it is in very good condition, and the seller has a very good "reputation" on eBay, regarding to the positive votes he won.

Guess this preamp is cost-effective, but all this depends on what you want to use it for...

If I lived in the USA, I'd probably click on "Buy it now" for my recording purposes...

All the best,

5. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    You're right, now that I see the picture it doesn't look that much like the current B series.

If your interested Gbase.com has a used svp for about $100 more. $375.

6. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Too late, Chris. I just used the Buy it Now option and bought it. I'm borrowing some of my tax money from myself which I will pay back later and I also have a gig this Easter Sunday which will pay for about half of it. I really needed a preamp and the fact that I can use it w/o a power amp for a while is a plus. I'm going to get a QSC RMX 850 as soon as I sell my Dean Edge Q4 bass. Thanks for you guys who replied to my question.

Dirk

7. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Ok thats cool. I'm sure it will sound great! Just trying to help.

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A B1 is not a preamp, it's an integrated amp. 150 watts into 4 ohms.

It was available as a head (B1-R) or in a combo amp with a 12" woofer and horn tweeter. Dates back to the mid 1990s.

9. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Yeah, I reallized it was a head but it's just one rack space, so it will be great as a preamp when I add a poweramp. It won't make my 8x10 bump too much, but it will be better than my Carvin PB200 combo, which I have extracted the head from and made a 15' cab and I made a new cabinet for the head, which is not very good, but it will work for now since the Carvin is a piece of crap.

Dirk

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Did you get the B1 yet? I was wondering how it sounded. How does the bass boost sound on this model? Does it add a nice warm low end like the bass boost on my SVT200T or does it suck out all the mids like the bass boost on the new svt3 pros?