Ampeg B100-R + Sansamp RBI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Papersen, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I`m planning to buy a Sansamp RBI mainly for recording but maybe also for some gigs.
    I actually own an Ampeg B100R which I really love and since I`m not an expert in the matter, I wanna know if I can add the RBI to this small combo.

2. I don't know about the DI but I would make sure you put a good mic on that when recording.
  3. Does the combo have an effects return jack or a power amp in jack? If so, you could run bass -> RBI -> combo, using only the poweramp from the Ampeg.
  4. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    It only has an unbalanced Line out jack and a phones jack.
    (no efects loop or preamp out)
  5. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I'm gonna get the Ampeg B100R as soon as i sell afew things. My question ... Its a consensus here that the B100R is a very warm and vintage sounding combo. What will the Sansamp add to the B100R other than more gain & the "fuzz " sound?
  6. Hmmm... well I suppose you could run it right into the combo input, but I wouldn't recomend it. The signal levels of and colourations of two preamps probably aren't going to work well together.
  7. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    This is just my opinion:

I own a B100R (two actually) and the SABDDI. I feel that using the SABDDI with the B100R kind of defeats the point of the amp. It sounds very nice without it. If you use the Sans Amp, it will initially sound fuller, but you lose some of the magic from the amp. I only use my SABDDI with it as a splitter, so I can run both at the same time. (I couldn't get a good signal to daisy chain from the line out as it was too hot).

I'd play with the eq settings a bit on the amp before putting a preamp in front of it. Both nice pieces of gear though.

8. Papersen

Mar 22, 2002
    Thanks for the input.
    I supposed something like that.
    I don`t wanna buy it if I`m not sure that I`ll work perfectly.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's what I was wondering.

You could use it with the amp I guess... depends on what you're trying to accomplish. While the B100 is warmer and fuller sounding than most amps (with the right bass, right EQ settings, etc.) it can sound pretty nice in a non-traditional sense. I like playing my sixes through it, even slapping.
  10. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    That is the rig I use for blues and country gigs. I find with the Sansamp I can get a tubey grind. If you play with the presence knob you can even get a pseudo hi-fi sound that is missing going direct to the B100R. Good 70's funk sound with a P. If the PA allows I'll use the xlr out on the Sansamp to send a signal to the mains. Nice portable/versatile rig.
  11. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    What I'll say is similar to Deepwoods' words.

I had a B-100R and an SABDDI (which is basically the same thing as the RBI), and this combination allowed me to get some touch of drive / grind (whatever you call it).

The tone was still warm, even hot sometimes, and that's a combination I highly recommend if you want some kind of "a la vintage" tone...

Hope this helps,