Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AMPEG B100 R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nuno A., Jan 21, 2002.

1. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    HELLO THERE.
    I JUST WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF SOMEBODY OUT THERE USES THE AMPEG B 100 R AND WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT IT REGARDING TONE AND VOLUME.
    DOES IT IN ANY WAY BE SLIGHTLY COMPARED TO A TUBE AMP??(BIG FAT TONE)
    THANKS .

NUNO ALEXANDRE

2. sort of, yes. It's definitely a vintage sound. Some will tell you it gets lot's of highs, but I disagree. It seems to excel at about 300Hz, to my ears. Not real low, not real high. It's a good amp, it just wasn't my cup of tea.....

3. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    The B100R will surprise you in terms of the volume it produces from 100 watts. It can hold its own in many gig situations. Its tone is very much like the Motown sound of the 60's and 70's. If that's the sound you like, it's a great amp. I love mine.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Mine doesn't have a lot of highs but the highs it does have work great for a punchier, old school style slap sound, like Louis Johnson's. Mine works great with the low B on every bass I've plugged into it, including Zon, Lakland, MTD 635, Fender, etc.

It does not sound like it's specs, relatively speaking.

5. I've got one and it's definitely in the keeper category. I use it for small gigs and big band practices. In fact, it stays at the practice site for one of my bands most of the time.

It's loud. Has a deep solid thump, especially with a P-Bass. But it can handle any bass you put in it. It's the closest thing that you'll find to an older Ampeg B-15 without acutually having a B-15. That's good in my book.

Try one. You just might become a believer.

6. mecha hooch

mecha hooch Guest

Jan 15, 2002
    jacksonville,fl
    i have a b 100 r...good amp will never get rid of it...not loud enough for me at gigs...not even small venues...but that depends on your guitar players amp and dummer...my dummer hits as hard as dale crover...and my rule for watt ratio is 3:1 ...being my guitar player has a 100w line 6 flextone...i've been playing a svt 350h thur a 6/10s cab...but i would never play thur that beast at practice man (the svt that is)...i do use the b 100 r for practice only...but sound wise nice big sound good lows ,mids, and plenty of highs IMO...this post may sound like i downside this amp...take heed this amp will fool you...good buy for the price too:rolleyes:

7. This is probably one of the best combo amps you can buy, period. It has a tube-like sound, very warm and vintage. It goes pretty loud for 100 watts with one 15 inch speaker. I think one reason it sounds so good is that it weighs 65 lbs. - very solid. It's got high end, just not like a super modern sounding amp, which to me sound a little too sterile.
    If this amp doesn't go loud enough for you, you really should consider getting a rig, otherwise for great sound from a not so big amp, this is it.

Buy one, you won't regret it.

Mike J.

8. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Thanks to everybody.
    I'm gonna give it a try very soon,i'm looking for a combo with a fat tone and for the price i think this could be a good solution......
    I'll be back after i'll try the amp.

Nuno A.

9. I just got one on ebay for 330.00. I can't wait to get it! I have been playing throught the old guitar amp that I had some questions about, so I am expecting to be blown away!