Ampeg B100r Appreciation society

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barroso, Aug 21, 2003.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    I use a Rickenbacker 4003 and a Fender P-Bass. Both sound great thru this swet combo.

2. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I use it with my Johnson BX200 and my Peavey Cirrus. They´re a happy couple and love each other.

3. mikarre

mikarre Guest

Is anyone currently using the B-100r as their "main amp"? Everyone says it's good for smaller gigs, but what about putting it through a direct box and into the PA system for bigger ones?

The reason I ask is b/c the Hartke rig I am trying to put together is driving me nuts. I have played these little Ampegs and I really love the tone. If I could get away with using one as my main rig I would be overjoyed. Keep in mind, I am just getting back into the game so I don't even have a band yet. In fact I only have one bass...a Fender MIM Jazz, and a Peavey Microbass practice amp. And the stupid Hartke head that I am starting to hate. The 100 watt combo may be plenty, depending on what situation I get into, or maybe not.

Will the Ampeg cut is as a main gig amp, if used with proper sound reinforcement? I am hoping the "Ampeg B-100r Appreciation Society" will convince me that it could, b/c I really love the sound of the amp.

4. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    I do use this amp as my main amp (at least for the moment).

While gigging, I experienced miking it, and also using the line out. I definitely prefer miking.

It doesn't substitute for a big rig based on an all-tube head, though. But let's compare what can be compared.

Cheers,
    JL

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Inactive

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I'd be willing to bet that the reason I seem to experience far less equipment failures than most people is because of the way I use my gear. I like to use gear that can coast through whatever situation I'm in and not run it at it's limit.

Will the B-100R work as a main amp? Yes and no. Yes if you're playing with musicians who are volume conscious. I've done several gigs with mine and it's worked great.

OTOH I remember using mine in a basement rehearsal and being drowned out by a drummer suffering from the chihuahua effect... he was so excited to be playing he couldn't seem to calm down... or control his volume.

It can suffer from the same fate on a really short stage that most low profile rigs can, your sound hits the back of your legs and most of it doesn't make it to your ears. Tilting or elevating the amp can address that.

The amp can get a lot louder than you'd think a 100w combo could and it's got great tone but there are limitations. Fortunately handling a low B isn't one of them. I've used mine in a larger band with a horn section with no pa support in a room that held ~400 people and it sounded great. However I wouldn't depend on that every time. That's why I have other stuff that can really coast through anything... including the chihuahuas;)

6. I know the amp in the pic isn't a B100R but it shows that you don't need a huge stage monitor. I use my B100R for quiet gigs and will be trying it at a louder bar gig later this month. I've mic'd it with a Shure SM57 with great results.

[​IMG]

Mike Mills live setup.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

It's my main rig and the use of a mic will deffintely help in biger gigs.

8. bassbid

bassbid

Mar 14, 2012
    It's my main rig also. The only thing I do differently is I run through an older (silver knob) Aphex 204 direct into the lo input and take the B100R line out through a whirlwind imp2 direct to the board. From smaller clubs to outdoor gigs, it's never let me down. I was also considering stacking another one on it and taking the line out from the first one into the input of the second one. Don't really have a need and never tried, just thought it might work. Any thoughts?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Chihuahua effect...LOL!

10. Konigstiger22

Konigstiger22

Mar 22, 2011
    Kenosha, WI
    Just picked one of these up and it is pretty tremendous! I usually play an SVT-3pro through a SVT 410HE. All I can say is the B100r sounds super clean and refined to my ears. Love it!
    :bassist:

11. RC52

RC52

Apr 10, 2010
    Laurens, SC
    Just got home from an outdoor gig using my Squier Tele bass into Ampeg B100R- I love this amp!!!

It pumped tubey goodness , with headroom to spare !!

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    In that someone has dragged up this zombie thread, does anyone have a schematic for the B-100R?

Nothing wrong with mine, I just want to examine the circuit.

Thanks!

13. Konigstiger22

Konigstiger22

Mar 22, 2011
    Kenosha, WI

Agreed! BTW I used mine on the night of 5/5 as well! Maybe the moon made them link or something... LOL

14. bassman64

bassman64

Jan 19, 2001
    NY
    you are not alone. Only Amp I played through for 10 years.
    I still have it but just recently bought a mark bass 1X15 combo for a little more power.

If the B100R was available with 300 watts I would but it in a second

15. bassman64

bassman64

Jan 19, 2001
    NY
    Rickenbacker 4003 and a Steinberger.

with the Steinberger I run a Mark Bass Super booster. the filters are incredible with that bass through the B100R

16. bassman64

bassman64

Jan 19, 2001
    NY

I played with a hard hitting drummer and a guitarist with a Marshal half stack and a 100 watt head. we played loud but not to the point it was noise.

I dont think it is Gig worthy day in and day out.

Like Brad said

"I'd be willing to bet that the reason I seem to experience far less equipment failures than most people is because of the way I use my gear. I like to use gear that can coast through whatever situation I'm in and not run it at it's limit."

I have had my B100R for 10 years. played with acoustic people and heavy metal and as much as I love it and the tone it needed a little more gas than it could give

17. hodgy

hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Customer Support- Ampeg/ Line 6
    The A&R guy brought one to me today that needs some HLC. I can't wait to tear into it.

18. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I've owned two B100R's and a B50R.
    I've used the B100R as my main small gig amp.
    They are hands down my favorite Ampeg combo amp.
    A B100R plus an overdrive pedal, with a P-Bass with flats.
    Mega-tone. :hyper:

19. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    +1 I have a B100R that i've used primarily as a practice amp, but I love the tone!

I've never had a rig past 11 o'clock on the master when playing a gig. I like the "coasting" approach as well! :)

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021