1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg B100r fixup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by VTheHTyphoon, Oct 27, 2018.

1. VTheHTyphoon

VTheHTyphoon

May 4, 2010
    Hey all just was looking for some advice here on a repair I'm trying to do.

Was recently gifted a B100r for free and was told I could try to fix it and if I could get it running I'd have a new practice amp.

So far I have checked the fuse and while it is not brand new it isn't blown; fixed the power cable as the ground was busted and the cable had a few nasty kinks towards the plus end; set the carbord ports back properly.

I have to take the plastic ends of the ports off and try to see if the speaker is hooked up tonight. Since I can't get any sound out of the speaker right now.

The power light does not come on and I need to fix up the input jacks since they are missing those hex bolt ends you usually see on inputs.

So like I said, no sound comes from the speaker and the power light doesn't go on, however I plugged the amp into another using the lineout, and it does produce sound. So, it is getting a signal, turning on, and producing output, I just gotta get the speaker going. Any advice would be helpful if there's other things I should look for.

Thanks in advance!

2. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    You've mostly covered the low-hanging fruit possibilities. I'd take it to be fixed by a trusty Bicycle Repairman. "See how he uses a spanner to tighten a nut!" Seriously, an experienced tech will be able to figure this out in short order.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    VTheHTyphoon likes this.
  3. torpedo2k

torpedo2k

Aug 11, 2018
    Atlanta, Ga
    none
    VTheHTyphoon likes this.
  4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Your amps headphone jack has a Shunt that disconnects/mutes the speaker from the poweramp section. Your headphone jack faces upward, so they collect a lot of dust... The contact points in your headphone Shunt might just be dirty or tarnished, & stuck in the mute-mode. Sometimes all that's needed to correct this issue is to repeatedly plug a headphone or guitar cord plug in/out a few times.

Although when my B100R combo developed this problem, I placed the combo upside down on a pair of saw horses and sprayed Deoxit D5 electrical cleaner (through the straw) upward into the headphone jack, before repeatedly plugging in/out. Then I repeated this process a couple more times, just to make sure.

PS:
    The reason for placing the amp upside down was so the Deoxit and dirt could drain back out under gravity, instead of dripping all over the amps other internal componets.

I've circled the shunt on this pic of a headphone jack to help you understand what I mean:

headphone jack with shunt.

AstroSonic, torpedo2k and saabfender like this.