Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg b100R for Spector Q5 fair?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by furiously funky, May 16, 2004.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    i've struck up a deal with a dude on here, and i just wanted to run this by everyone here (not to say that i think the person i am dealing with is at all dishonest)
    Would it be wise to trade an ampeg b100r for a spector Q5 pro? both are in good condition etc. and the spector has an upgraded 18 volt preamp.
    please help! thank you!!
    -marty

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hehe i own both of those things. I love the tone of my Ampeg, and i really like the Spector.. no complaints about either. Seems like a fair trade to me. Youd be GETTING the Spector?

3. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    you grilled the other guy in the thread fig! you where there!! ;) remember?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    whats this?

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Is it MJ1510 or w/e 's Spector?

6. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    you were making fun of the guy because hed said he would never get rid of his spector, and he was trying to trade it for a smaller practice amp.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    O i remember now. I wasnt grilling him by any means. I just remember him mentioning in the past that he loved that bass and would never sell it, so i was inquiring what was up.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    If I end up making the transaction, I will be buying another Spector. A fancier one. I may have a deal involving my Metro and a Czech Spector.

Scott.....what do you think of the Ampeg? Loud? How does it handle the low B?

-Mike

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ^nice.
    Ampeg is great. Best 100 watt combo ive played. Handles low B fine. If you have active pickups or electronics, even with it plugged into the -15 db input, the "peak" light comes on once in a while when you dig in, but this can easily be avoided just by turning the volume down a little on your bass, and using the amps volume knob. I dont mind the amp "peaking" . It adds a nice growl to the amp actually, and it hasnt shown any signs of being bad for it in the past year that ive owned it.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Excellent.....I am seriously considering pulling the trigger. The Ampeg will be plenty for my new gig.

I just have to line up another bass for the Metro before I let the Spector go. I don't want to let the SPector go, but I will be getting another one right away.

-Mike

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    yea i didnt think you'd be unwise enough to let it go without gettting another one :p

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Well, if things work out the way I am planning. I will have the Ampeg, a Lakland 55-01, and a Spector Q4.

The Ampeg deal is pretty much done, and a few more details to iron out in the Metro for Lakland deal. I have cash to buy a Q4.

-Mike

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sounds sweet. Laklands always appealed to me.