Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B100R...kewl!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I like to try new gear...who doesn't! Found this on a local craigslist for $165, and couldn't pass it up. I gotta say to the couple of guys who recommended this lil amp, you were right! Paired with my Lakland hollowbody, it's got a great old school thump, and my upright sounds pretty good thru it too...

2. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Great amp, & at $165(?!) quite a deal.

I love mine...

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Awesome price. I used one for a year or so.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's a steal. Congrats on finding a very cool combo IMO.

BTW I just got back from Kansas City.

5. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    That's a steal.

Mine is certainly not loud enough to keep up with my band, but I love it none-the-less, for coffee shop type things and practices.

6. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    It's no giant killer, and you're not gonna lay down a big death meatl band with it, but it's a pretty stout 100 watts with a 15 in a milk crate;) I doubt I'll gig with it much, but it's a fine practice and rehearsal amp, and ''small room with responsable players" amp. The tone and visual vibe are real nice.

7. That's awesome! I wish I would have found it :)

8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    wanna trade for a gs212;)

9. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    That's a great price! I'm looking for one so now I'm jealous.

10. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Yeah, it's great for a small, laid back singer-songwriter guy I play with some times. It was also really nice in my jazz band back in high school. Congrats on a nice combo at an amazing price.

11. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    About a month from now, how about posting a picture of the dents and bruises on your ankles. Please refer to the "Pros and Cons of Combo Amps" megathread for details. But seriously, the B100R is a great sounding amp. I owned the B15R ($1699) at the same time as the B100R and from the next room it took a sharp ear to tell the difference. And you got a good price as well.

12. :) You're not kidding. Best to just lift and carry it in your arms or roll when possible.

Congratulations on an excellent deal Chef. The B100R is one of my all time favorite pieces of gear.

13. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Joe: it does'nt seem too heavy to me...maybe my arms are short or something, but I don't think it's gona be too bad of an ankle-buster...
    I was looking for a B15R, and came close to pulling the trigger on one when I found this for about $700 less and figured "what the heck."
    I look forward to using it...and just looking at it.

14. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    You made the right choice. The B15R looked really cool sitting there in the living room, but I never gigged with it. I ended up dumping it on consignment for $799. On the other hand, I sold the B100R to a keyboard friend of mine a few years ago and he has been using it ever since. It ate his Roland keyboard amp for lunch.

15. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    At twice the weight, I can see that. But, the B15R just looks kewl. And it's tubes, and I think it might be more powerful.
    I'm happy, but still got my eyes open for a B15R.