Ampeg B100R line out into a PA

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thejumpcat, Apr 20, 2014.

1. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat

Sep 30, 2007
    metro-Detroit
    I picked up an Ampeg B100R yesterday. Sweet little amp! I'm hoping to use it on club gigs. My singer uses a Bose L1:

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=...tems/l1_model1s/l1_model1s_singlebass_pkg.jsp

Usually, I use an old GK400RB into an LDS 1x15 cab and all is well. On several gigs I've left that rig at home and I've plugged my bass (both upright and slab) into the L1's Tone Match audio engine (small mixer) and it rocks pretty good.

I've read a lot of positive reviews of the B100R and wanted to pick one up and see how it sounds. In the condo, it kills. Now I want to try it on a gig. I'm worried it might not be loud enough and want to be able to use the Bose PA if need be.

I'm wondering if I can run a cable from the amp's line out directly into the Bose Tone Match's 1/4 input that I would plug my bass directly into?

If so, do I just use a short guitar cable? A speaker cable? Do I need to go into a DI box first and then into the Tone Match?

I just want to make sure here before I start experimenting and possibly damage that expensive Bose!

2. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Congrats on getting a great amp!

You can just run an instrument cable from your B100R line out into the Bose. All you'll have to do is maybe trim the gain level of the Tone Match. Since it's an unbalanced line out, a good rule of thumb is to use the shortest cable you can get by with to minimize any hum. There's no need to use a speaker cable, although it won't hurt if you do it may be (a lot) more noisy. You won't need a separate DI, unless for some reason you need to make a seriously long run between your amp and the Bose or another mixer or maybe a recorder, then of course you can run an instrument cable into a DI and use a balanced cable to make the long run.

No matter, I predict your Ampeg will be plenty loud enough all by itself!

Don't be fooled by it being "only" 100 watts, you can crank that amp practically all the way up and it will still sound good. But you may want to run into the Bose anyway to better disperse your mids and highs, won't hurt to try.

Good luck, let us know how it works out. Im sure it will sound great.

3. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    The B100r will hang with the Bose no problem (I owned both and used both for gigs). I still have the B100r.

4. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat

Sep 30, 2007
    metro-Detroit
    Thanks! Short guitar cable from Ampeg to Bose it is!

5. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I gigged with a B100R for a few years. Our PA used subwoofers, so it was just a matter of running an instrument cable to an input on the board. I set the Ampeg on a stand and aimed it at the drummer's ears. Worked perfectly.

6. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat

Sep 30, 2007
    metro-Detroit
    Perfect! That's what I wanted to hear (or read).

7. I use an SVTDI into my B100 and then the house plugs into that also-- I select "tube" out on the DI. Killer tone on the rig and house. For smaller clubs that don't have a good house system I bring my second B100 and run a line out from the main amp amp and have as much headroom as my old SVT 8x10. Not quite the over drive but never have have been able to turn the old SVT past 4 without making the room cringe from the volume. Plus most clubs don't have enough amps voltage to run the SVT 8x10.

8. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat

Sep 30, 2007
    metro-Detroit
    I just got the B100R on Saturday, and I'm digging it. My wife is loving the headphone option, too!
    I plugged a Strat into it this morning, and I'll be damned if it doesn't sound pretty good. I imagine with a reverb/tremolo pedal, it be downright wicked to gig with on guitar. But the P bass just sounds fabulous through this. And, to me, the 60+ pounds doesn't feel asz heavy as my 42-pound LDS 15 cab, which is bigger and more awkward to carry. I can handle toting this Ampeg to gigs.

9. I just use a mono 1/4 to a Whirlwind IMP DI then XLR like any other amp to FOH. $30 and sounds great.

Just as a side note. The line out volume is based on the pre & EQ... not the post So when you get it set w. FOH. then you can just adjust your volume and it will not effect the FOH signal.

I love this amp. I have a GK 200RCB and an Ampeg V4 as well and the B-100R gets all the time.

10. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    The B100R has a great line out. I've used it for recording and found it to be very legit. No noise.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021