Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B100R not doing it.................

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by simongpaez, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Hello:
    I currently have a Rocket Bass Ampeg B100R but somehow is not doing it. DON'T MATTER WHAT BASS PLAY What other combos you recommend that might have a Punch and better feel than this one?

2. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Wow, you're one of the few folks that I've ever heard saying that they were disappointed in the B100R. I recently acquired one & love it's rich vintage tone.
    If you're looking for a good "modern" sounding combo check out the Yorkville XM200:
    http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?id=197&cat=15&type=32

My main rig is a Yorkville XS400H & I used to have an old Bassmaster 200 combo. Lots of versatility in sound & a fantastic warranty. Best bang for the buck in the world of bass amplification, IMHO.

3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    "Rich vintage tone" and punch are completely different things.

Yes, I've noticed a great lack of punch with the B-100R.

I'm thinking if you want that, you might try looking at something with a smaller speaker.

4. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Or, =cough,cough= tweeter.

5. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    If you like the Ampeg tone, and still want a combo you can try a BA115HP or a BA210. Both are 220 Watts and use a compression horn. It hardly hisses at all and you can turn it up or down depending how much high freq you want. You can turn it down to zero and run no horn at all.

I have a BA115HP and I love this amp. It sounds great. The 210 will give you more midrange punch than the single 15 in the 115HP.

Go try one out.

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    If you want a "punchy" combo, check out a G-K.

7. What do you think of the GK Gallien Krueger MB150S ??

8. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    I have not played through one of those. I've only tried the backline combos, which seemed to be pretty good for the money.

9. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Hey Bongolation, I never said that "Rich vintage tone" & "punchy" were the same thing. I merely pointed out what I liked about the B100R & made a suggestion.

10. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    "Cough, cough", a tweeter isn't gonna make an amp punchier. I definetely don't think the B100R was designed for a "modern" tone. I can get a very punchy sound from mine and that's against a Marshall half-stack, a Twin, and drum kit. It has a very flexible EQ.
    Now that I think of it my B100R(along with my Gibson EB-2)was on TV last night. "Veronica Mars" on UPN used one of our songs in last night's episode.
    And I used to own a GK MB150S(head only)and it was awesome. Sold it a year ago as I was overloaded with bass amps.

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Yeah, they're kind of antithetical, really...but the original poster's gripe was that he didn't feel it provided adequate punch, thus my comment. I was just trying to stay on-track. I think a lot of the relative unpunchiness is just the function of a big 15" speaker compared to a smaller one, but of course you can goose up various amp shortcomings by creative adjustment.

I like the B-100R a lot myself, it's just that comparing it to the other small amp in the studio, an Ampeg BA-112, I find that with both amps set neutrally and with the same bass, when A/Bed they demonstrate exactly the point he made.

12. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    "Punchy" is one of those terms that is completely subjective. Most others I've spoken to like the B100R's tone. But it may not work with your unique:

ears, bass, playing style, and musical interests.

So. Go to GC, try SWR and GK's 2x10 combos. I bet one of them gives you what you want.

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I disagree.

It's relative - but not subjective. Describing it verbally, I'd say it's the opposite of having muffled transients.

I think it's one of the relatively few "tone" words that do have clear meaning to anyone who's heard a demonstration of it between two amps, as I described.

14. ...And I think everyone's "clear" meaning would differ depending on the amps used in the demonstration. I also think the fact that someone is questioning the definition of "punch" is a clear indication that it is subjective.

At some point the presence of "punch" and the presence of muffled transients have to meet in the middle. What would you define that sound as? Some might say "punchy", others..."muffled". Me? Muffled punchiness.

Mike

15. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    That's why I own one, and why I passed up any number of combos with tweeters. But it's true that an easy route to perceived punch is by adding more high frequency components than what you get from a 15" (which I for my part am perfectly happy with).

16. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Let me ask you something. Have you ever heard James Jamerson's bass line to "What's Going On?". That is about the craziest, punchiest bass tone I've ever heard AND it's characterized by vintage warmth.

Let's not debate theories like a bunch of academicians. Go listen to that track again and come tell me someone can't have a bass sound with BOTH "rich vintage tone" and "punch".

Forget it, hombre. You can't.

17. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    +1

18. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    One can have muffled punch... if you consider punch a physical sensation. I do.

Anyway... the number one issue I've seen with people who've made this observation about the B100-R is how they tweak the amp.

Try this:

1. Set all voicing pushbuttons to the up (off) position.

2. Set the 4 band tone controls from left to right: 5,3,3,5.

3. Turn up gains to desired level.

IME vintage tone was all about punch. The B-100R not only does that but sounds great with my fives and sixes, especially my MTD 635. Very rich, full sound that's easily controlled. Try the settings and see.