Ampeg B100R...opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by loendmaestro, Feb 2, 2005.

1. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I'm thinking about picking one of these up as a second/practice/easy to move amp.
    Supposed to be the modern, solid state version of the old B-15 Portaflex.
    Any feedback out there?
  2. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I've had mine for about five years now and I'm very pleased with it. I emulates the old school tone of the B-15's and I think it sounds very good for a transistor amp. It is heavy so I would recommend getting the casters to make it easier to move around. I use mine primarily for practice but it does work well for small gigs. I like the retro look too! I recommend them.
  3. First, it is one of the coolest looking combos with its retro looks. Secondly and more importantly, it has tone! I think it sounds more tubey than any of the emulators I have tried, including my sansamp bass driver. How do they do that? Oh yeah, it's an Ampeg! DUH! Bear in mind I am talking tube warmth not tube distortion.

It has enough volume for small gigs & coffee houses. I use mine for rehearsals with two guitarists (mesa combo and Fender twin) drums and keys with PA, and it has more than enough volume to play with them. Outside would probably be another story.

I love the sound I get from it. But it is a darker, vintage sound. Don't expect to slap or pop with it, but if you are looking for a classic rock sound it is excellent, and it actually cuts through and is heard instead of being lost in the mix, like some lesser combos (in my experience) are wont to do. In fact it is capable of getting quite loud.

There is no external speaker out jack which is worth mentioning, but I have a big rig for big gigs so I don't whine about that. Besides you can always mic it if you need more, but pull out the old earplugs too while you're at it. It does have a line-out jack though. (I use that for the tuner) It also has a nice preamp clip light which is helpful and a 4-band EQ. You're good to go.

It also comes with caster holes already in the bottom so all you need to do is pop in a set of wheels for easy transport and truthfully, the 65 lbs is not much to lift, the leather handle is comfortable.

I owned a BA110 which I know is a lot smaller, so I cannot speak for the BA112 or the BA115, but the BA110 had a totally cleaner sound and was not even close in comparison to the warmth of the rocket. My point is, if you have played a BA series combo and it wasn't for you, give the rocket series a try, because it is a way different sound. (they also make a 12" 50 watter - B50R)

I would recommend it and it is one of my "Best Buys"
  4. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    i know when ever i need to replace my first amp, hartke b60, with a new combo for small stuff. I will for sure get that Rocket 100. I really like this thing, from looks to great tone. I wish it had a speaker out jack! I think ampeg really hit something here by making it simple. More amps should be like this.

Im sure if they made a 300+ watt head that sounded like this they would make BIG bucks.

If i was in the market for a small combo i would look at this and the BA115. But the BA115 lacks vibe.
  5. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Simply said... I love mine. Like the others said, it looks great and sounds even better. If you are looking for the solid state version of the B-15, then this is it. Gets real close.
  6. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I had a B-15 in Junior High; I like the B-100R much better.
  7. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I absolutely love my B100R and highly recommend it!
  8. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Hey guys, I picked up that amp today. I love it! I played my T-bird, my jazz, Rick 3001 & Rick 4003 through it this afternoon & they all sounded fantastic. The 4003 in particular sounds stunning. Gives just enough old school flavor to the Rick clanks/highs.
    It's amazing how warm & tube-y that thing is!!

Thanks to everyone for their feedback regarding this amp, I appreciate it!
  9. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Before you jump into anything, you should read the Combo Amp Megathread. I don't remember anyone mentioning "easy to move".
  10. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    This one ain't so bad...even my old ass can move this one around.