1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg B100R or GK Backline 210.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TUEP, Mar 11, 2008.

1. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    I have been debating on selling my Ampeg B100R for a GK 210, since the 210 can be upgraded to 300 watts with an extension cab. I was told on another board that the Ampeg has more headroom.

I play a lot of hard rock. Clutch, Godsmack, AIC, and dirty southern rock kinda stuff.

I have access to my guitar players Peavey TKO 115. I noticed you can have it go from 75 to 150 watts with an extension cab, would this be an option over the GK 210 or Ampeg B100R? Though the Ampeg and GK do have better tone.

Last but not least I have an old Laney Linebacker 100 bass head. I only have a Peavey 2x12 guitar cab for it, I have never had a bass cab for it since I have been using the Ampeg or Peavey, Anyway I noticed it has 2 speaker jacks.

It says 100 @ 4 ohms on the back. Would each jack be sending 100 watts into 4 ohms into two separate cabs, or would it be spliting the signal and sending 50 watts into two ohms?

I seriously have never heard this Laney cranked into a guitar cab. Although it is more than a guitar cab can handle a 1/3 of the way up.

2. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    If you plan on gigging w/ PA support, get an Ampeg B100r or a B200r if you can afford it. Great combo; and for what you are doing musically you can't beat it in its price range.

3. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    So your saying the B100R has the GK beat for what I am doing?

I still have the B100 R, and I love the tone.

4. amos

amos

Oct 23, 2003
    SE Portland Oregon
    I have never heard the GK 210, only heard good things about it. I have witnessed a b100r fill a room with bass however. You should be able to find a GK 210 somewhere around where you live and test it out. You should fill out your profile.

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The GK will sound louder due to its voicing and speakers. You'll also get a full 300 watts with an extension cabinet. The Ampeg sounds good but lacks power and has one speaker. It sounds different and doesn't stick out front as much. Try the GK before you decide. Myself, I'd get a GK 700 RB and a good Avatar cabinet and be done with it.

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    As i have posted here before i use the BL210 combo alot. It was my go-to head combo for a few years and i still use it. I have down sized since i dont need the watts and its to big to lug around..its now my backup/practice amp.

I ran mine thru a sunn 4x10 cab which was rated at 300 watts 8 ohm and the sound was massive P.A. support or not. I was playing med/ to small clubs and some outdoor shows with no problems in two loud rock bands.

I recieved alot of compliments on my tone and sound in the 3 years i ran this 6x10 rig which was less than 300 watts i think since it was at 8 ohms not 4. That 600 head in there has never failed me and for the $ is a great sounding easy to use trouble free head. I also ran the BL210 thru my carvin 15 cab in my country band and it was great. If there is one short coming of the 210 its the speakers...they are ok...swap those out to something better and you have a great 210 rig that will go anywhere.

7. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    Where here is the thing I am stuck with the Ampeg B100 R, Peavey TKO, and Laney 100 Linebacker.

Too many options but I am thinking of selling the Ampeg, and putting the funds in a GK.

8. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Sorry, i've just heard some HORRIBLE GK stuff especially BL.
    There is no way I could recommend a cheap GK combo over a B-100R.
    Think about separates instead, such as head/cab and please stay away
    from backline stuffs.

9. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    There's a lot of GK Backline bashing going on. It's understandable even though those who do it often haven't used it. The Backline is GK's budget line, meant to compete with the cheap imports everyone else seems to be selling. BUT-The Backline 600 head is a good head.

Read Fdeck's review on it. It's accurate. He has actually tried it and plays gigs through it. He knows what he's talking about.

The other Backline heads aren't as good. The Backline speakers however are to be avoided in my opinion. But, if you get the 600 head and pair it with a good speaker cabinet (the Avatar is a good choice for the money) then you'll have a decent rig that'll be bigger sounding and better for your needs than the Ampeg.

I've played through the Ampeg. It sounds great. I would have bought one except I knew it wouldn't handle the rooms I needed it for, and the weight was a bit much. Nice sounding amp though.

10. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Again I agree 100% BL cabs and speakers blow they are the worse no doubt. The BL600 head is one of the best budget heads money can buy IMO and others on TB its a good solid unit. Just because something is an entry line doesnt make it cheap or junk. I'll tell ya what i have alot of people who are bass and guitar players who will stand up for my rig which is a BL600 head in a 210 bl combo. The sucky speakers do good when mixed with the great Sunn 4x10 cab and it performs. My rig has amazed other players and i tell them its a budget rig ...they shake their heads.

11. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I will put my BL210 combo ran thru a Sunn 4X10 cab against any mid line SS 6x10 rig any day. It out right performs indoors or out night after night for over 4 years. When you have other players, band members buddies etc coming up and asking ..."what's your rig it sounds really good" I can smile, budget all the way.