ampeg b100r owners-do i have a dud?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spockrock79, Jan 6, 2005.

1. spockrock79

Dec 7, 2004
    ok, well just the other day someone asked about this amp and i raved about it, now last night i noticed something that may not be very good...when i was playing notes on the d string past the 12th fret the speaker sounded like it was buzzing when the note was hit, kinda like a rattle mixed in with a buzz and the this normal? i had the bass, mids and treble boosted, with the bass at 3 o'clock, hid mids at 11, low mids at 1 o'clock, and the treble at 3 o'clock. the gain was at 4 or 5 with volume b/t 6 and 8, the buzz is also especially pronounced when i play a note on the 14th d string fret, but seems to occur on every string after the 12th at that volume. the buzz seemed less when i plucked the strings with less force. i'm playing a mim fender jazz with stock everything and i normally play with a pick if that makes a difference...

any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated!
  2. KataPolt

Aug 4, 2004
    The tubes that connect to the port holes in the back may be knocked loose, and vibrate...

I have played my friend's B100R 6 times and heard him and others play it live at shows, and I have never heard any buzzing or bad sounds like you write. There must be something wrong... :meh:
  3. I have a B100R and have never experienced that, even at high volumns.

I used to have a B50R. When I first brought it home and played through it there was a horrible buzz. I took the speaker out and found a staple had fallen on the back side of the cone and was causing the noise. I took the staple off and it worked fine.

Have you tried cutting the mids a little and see if it still makes the noise? It sounds like there is a definite problem with the combo.
  4. spockrock79

Dec 7, 2004
    i have tried cutting the mids...there's a noticeable difference but there is still a if something may be wrong...
  5. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Yes, I had the same problem. The faceplate would buzz and rattle a bit, and the speaker would fart out a bit. It sounded great, but not at higher volumes and not with the treble rolled off and bass rolled up.
    I took it back. I found the same rattle problem with a few other combos too.
    I have a early 90's Fender Bassman 60 with the 15" speaker and it sounds better. No rattling at all, and the sucker is so warm sounding. Granted its only 60 watts, but it DOES pump out volume. I had it for sale, but I think I'm gonna keep it.

Oh yeah, I tried out 2 of the B100R's ,new out of the box, and they both had a face plate or chassis rattle.
    If you have one that doesn't rattle , keep it.

Sorry, but I'm real picky about noises that shouldn't be there.
  6. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Are you sure its not fret buzz from the bass? That can happen this time of year as some necks can and do move in the winter.
  7. spockrock79

Dec 7, 2004
    i'm almost 100% sure it's not fret buzz b/c i played my p bass thru the amp to thinking just that it may be the case and got the same disheartening results...i suppose i'll have to drag the amp to the shop this weekend...blah...