1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg B100R Question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoeyZ, Mar 21, 2009.

1. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    I mainly use this as my at home/practice amp but after the horrifying discovery i've made recently I was wondering how you think this combo would hold up in a band situation? I mean, I just had it up fairly loud and it seems like it'd be able to push some air but next to a drummer i'm not so sure.
    I play in a punk/metal band so ideally, I'd like something bigger and beefier sounding.

Bottom line, would this combo do a better job at supplying the low end than a GK Backline running through an old Ampeg G-60 guitar cab?

In the end, I'm going to upgrade to something suitable but in the mean time...I can't get past how terrible I sound, and now that I know why It bugs me even more...:help:

2. Guitar cabs don't make very good bass amps. You'll end up blowing out the speakers. Did I miss something? What horrifying discovery?

Paul

3. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    The horrifying discovery is that the ampeg g-60 6x10 I've been using is a guitar cab, and not a bass cab.
    I grabbed it at music go round a few years ago. It was in the bass section so naturally I assumed it was indeed a bass amp. Guess not, and since that discovery I've been on the hunt for an alternative. I already own the B100R so I figured I may be able to use that until I can get something a bit more substantial.
    I was just wondering if anyone had used one of these for a similar application and if so how it held up against the drums.
    It's a 100 watt amp, so right out of the box I know I'm going to be pretty low in the mix but will it ultimately sound better than the rig I'm currently using?

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    The B-100R can be a pretty cool sounding combo but lots of us have also noticed it wasnt always loud enough for our bands. You'll find that stacking it up on something to get it closer to your ears helps a bunch. Bass knob settings centered/Ultra-bass turned off, and your mids centered or above should make it play louder too. I'd also try pushing the master volume up higher with a bit lower gain-knob settings for loud band situations.

Paul's right about many guitar speakers used for bass being damaged. Some guys get around this by making drastic cuts in the amps bass knob (or eq) and use them just for aditional mids and highs. Some guys use these along with a regular bass rig to supply the lows...

I looked your cab up, (2x15 sized, ported 6x10 for use with a 120 watt G-60 s/s head) If that cabs still working right, its actualy a fairly beefy guitar cab. If you were to use an ABY-pedal or a stereo/dual output pedal (sometimes even just a Y-cord from Radio Shat works ok) into both amps inputs, and then trully cut most all the bass from your GK/G-60 rig, and then also had your B-100 playing for the low end you'd probably have yourself a fairly loud stage rig going there without buying new gear.