Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B100R questions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by _alex_, Jan 4, 2005.

1. _alex_

_alex_

Feb 29, 2004
    Old Europe:)
    hey,

iam interested in buying the B100R,is this combo really great as some reviews that i read?

what about if i need more power for some bigger concerts,can i use a extension cab with this amp?

thanks

2. spockrock79

spockrock79

Dec 7, 2004
    NC
    there's no extension cab option, but i have one and would not part with it for the world...plenty loud for me, but i'm not regularly playing with a drummer either...

3. mezzone

mezzone

Jan 4, 2005
    Ampeg make great gear but ive only tried out their heads and cabs- the B5r and b2r great amps and killer tone. not sure about their combos. I heard they lack punch and depth. If u want to expand get a head and cab. What r u after tone , portability, etc.....?????

4. You can get casters for the 65 lb. B-100-R. But the macho guys don't use them.

I really dig the styling and sound. I don't have one though, but would if I was a collector.

5. KataPolt

KataPolt

Aug 4, 2004
    Please do not be offended, and please excuse my English, but I am not sure why you post in the thread about an amp that you have no experience about, and try to critiqe it on what you have heard? Maybe you try to be helpful, but I am not sure how much this helps? :oops:

I played one of these combos this past weekend and was amazed at how great it sounded. :hyper: It had surprising punch (as much as Ampeg 810? Obviously no), and depth (as much as a 215? Obviously no) and sounded exactly as I would expect a tube amp would sound. In fact, my friend played it later in his band, and not only did it sound fabulous, but it sounded better than the next bassist's vintage B-15 :eek:

This amp is definitely on my list of things to buy. I have heard bands with bassists play this combo - I think 4 times, and every time, the bass sounds wonderful.

The only weakness I think is for very loud bands, this amp is not loud enough. But I have heard 3-4 piece pop/rock bands use it in up to medium size rooms and it sounded great.

6. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I had one of these and I thought it was a great sounding amp. At 100 watts it would be great for playing with acoustic guitars or a low volume coffee house gig. But with an electric guitar and a drummer at a practice session it was farting all over the place for me.

7. KataPolt

KataPolt

Aug 4, 2004
    Maybe too little for practice session in a small room - you may be right!

In my experience hearing this amp in 3/4 piece pop/rock/country bands with reasonable volume and not a 'beating the horse' drummer, it performs very well with no farting.

I did think it had good volume for a 100watt combo! But, I do not think this amp will perform well with loud rock/metal/punk. I think if the guitarists use 50watt amps or more with no restrain, then this amp will not be powerful enough.

8. _alex_

_alex_

Feb 29, 2004
    Old Europe:)
    already got the B100R,its a great little amp :hyper:
    not to bright(even with new strings) and its LOUD!!!the sound is great (vintage) with a option of the MIDS,HIGHS;LOWS so there is plenty of possibilities here :D
    i was surprised,i think its more loud than my SWR 350 !!!
    i still dont try it with all the band but my guess is that it suits with no problem and in big gigs i just put a DI on ot ;)

thanks all for the posts,

alex

9. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I had a B-100R. Very good sounding amp.
    But for the same price, I switched to an Ashdown MAG 300 w/MAG210 cab and this combo has more balls and more bottom end. More EQ capabilities too.

Cheers,
    JL

10. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I've owned a B-100R for four years and like it alot. It is a transistor amp, but has a warm, vintage tone emulating that of a tube portflex. There is not extension speaker output but I've never felt the need for one, as it is not my only bass rig. It is loud enough for many applications. I love the old school look too. I would buy another. I will say that I also have a mint condition 1967 B-15-N. The tone form this vintage amp is far superior to the B-100R.

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Hah! I just bought one at Guitar Center an hour ago and told them the deal was off if they couldn't find me the casters! :p

Life's too short to get backstrain over a freakin' amp.

Not a bad deal...a recent used one in apparent mint condition except for dust. Yellville manufacture (another condition of the buy), $269.99...reasonable deal.

Doesn't seem that loud for 100WRMS, but we'll see. Nice enough amp otherwise.

12. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I have a B100R and love it. Of course, I don't use to blow out my ears, so my opinion may not be worth much. I use it for warm, present tone with my bass when I play with other adults and it is perfect for that. If I were to revisit my childhood and play the "who can get loudest" game, I might have a different opinion. Since I have a larger rig that I use for ego games, this one works very well for, dare I say it? -- music.

13. I have one and I love it! I also play with adults and make music, and it is plenty loud enough. I use it in rehearsal with two guitarists who play through a Mesa Rectifier and a Fender Twin, a drummer who has a good feel (not a pounder), and keyboards and vocals through the PA and I have no problem keeping up and I don't even turn it up past halfway and I do not go through the board.

The best thing is that it has a tone that will cut through and be heard and in my experience, is never farty.

It has a great tone. Is it the ultimate? NO. I use my bigger rigs and cabs when I want to tear your face off. But if I were playing a small or medium gig with PA support, I would have no hestitation bringing it out.

14. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Yeah, I hideously overamped and it was only a few months ago that I even had a suitable practice amp, a great little BA-112 I got new for $159.99 on sale at GC. I was looking for something with a lot of low-end grunt and a few more watts for use in little gigs like backing poets and singer-songwriters with the Ashbory. This seems like the ticket. I don't do "modern" twang bass, so it's a natural for me. I'm a flatwound kinda guy.

I would also mention that these new Ampegs are indeed very much better since Ampeg production has moved to the new Arkansas plant. I had totally given up on Ampeg gear after getting so much nasty stuff when it was coming out of the Crate plant in St. Louis, but this new output has QC more in line with Ampeg's prices.

Anyway, I hit this one with some vinyl cleaner and after detailing, it looks brand new. Still has the protective skin on the control panel, even.

15. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    Being the owner of a 1963 B15N, I was pretty skeptical myself, but I've been won over.

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've owned several B-15s over the years and couldn't be happier with my B100-R. I've probably had it for about four years now and it's an amazing amp, especially when it comes to handling the low B.

17. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I also own a BR-100.
    Cool amp.
    Plenty loud for small gigs.
    I use it for blues gigs. old scool sound.
    Also have a 1966 B-15.
    The B-15 sound better than the BR-100.
    Use the B-15 for recording only.
    Percision with flats, and a B-15 heaven!

18. Deaj

Deaj

Aug 15, 2004
    Kingston, WA
    I have a B-50R and I love it!! The B-100R, as I remember, had the same vibe with more power and more options. I was looking for a small practice amp with a great classic tone and I don't think I could have done better than the B-50R. Enjoy the B-100R!