1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg B100R Tolex cleaning?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sevenyearsdown, Apr 29, 2010.

1. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Probably a dumb question here:

I just picked up a nice MIA Ampeg B100R. It sings, but could use a good cleaning.

What do you guys use to clean the diamond blue tolex on these things? Murphy's and a soft bristle brush perhaps?

Lemme have it.

(pics will follow once she is clean)

2. Volume4

Volume4

Sep 15, 2009
    Long Island
    Fellow USA B-100R owner/lover here.

From the Ampeg owners manual

The B-100R is covered with a durable Tolex material: wipe it clean with a lint-free cloth. Never
    spray cleaning agents onto the cabinet. Avoid abrasive cleansers which could damage the finish.

3. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    I use Fantastik on mine and wipe it down with a wet wash cloth any time the nasty bar funk get's out of control lol

4. I have always used products like Son-Of-A-Gun or Armorall on mine to both keep them clean and protect them.

Since it first came out - Armorall was the best, but it's been shadowed by Son-Of-A-Gun since it has a better formula I feel and isn't sticky like Armorall.

Things like the chlorinated hydrocarbons or synthesized organic oils are going to dull the finish. These are products like 409 or Fantastik. Just be careful what you decide upon to actually clean a cab.

Once dulled, it's hard to bring back the newness of the OE shine.

Even my 1960s cabs and amps look better than the day they were new.

Here's my 1996 Crate half stack

100_6096. 100_6097.

It looks nice and still shines. I've had no Tolex deterioration in all the time I've owned it. In fact it looks better than new I think.

And here's a year unspecified (prolly early 80s I think, maybe older) Peavey PA amp I own :::

100_6052.

I didn't put those stupid screws through the aluminum rails either! That's my next project to get new rails.