Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B100R vs. BA210sp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Uncle Amos, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Uncle Amos

Uncle Amos

Sep 3, 2004
    If anyone saw my previous posts, you might already know that I'm in the market for a practice/small gig amp. This might be a long shot, but I'd like to know if anyone has anything to say comparing these two combos. As I live over an hour away from the nearest Guitar Center/shop that might actually have these combos, I'll need all the info I can get. :help:

I'd like to know which is louder, has better and more versatile tones, most reliable, etc.

I've made a small list of questions based on what I've read. I'd like to know how true these might be.

B100R:
    Warmer, more tubelike tone?
    15" speaker (better bass response? Louder?)
    4 band EQ (more versatility?)

BA210sp:
    15 built-in effects and programable footswitch (not sure how used this will be. Sounds fun though...)
    SVT effect setting (how close does it get to the sound of my CL?)
    220 Watts (Louder?)
    2x10 speaker config. (louder? clearer?)

I'm leaning a bit towards the 210, as I think I'd like the punch of 10s as well as more power. The effects, which I've heard various positive/negative things about, won't be used in every situation, but I think it might be interesting to try them out. Let me know what you think of both. Any suggestions on other amps will be accepted. :D

Thanks!

2. funkcicle

funkcicle

Jan 9, 2004
    Asheville, NC
    I'm afraid I can't offer any input about the BA210 as i've never tried it, but I've got a B100R and it's sound is absolutely EXQUISITE. I love to hear other people play on this amp.. solid state reliability and clarity with a tube-like warmth.. from across the room this amp delivers a big juicy bubble of tone. Very loud 100w(as loud as the 220w that my Hartke HA4000 puts out at 8ohms but with much nicer tone). Ampeg definitely got the formula right for this amp.. if you come across one, snap it up!!

f.w.i.w.

3. Uncle Amos

Uncle Amos

Sep 3, 2004
    Have you ever used it in a live situation? If you have, does it cut through well? How are the mids/highs with the 15"?

4. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I recently acquired a B100R combo for rehearsal and small venues. I also orderd the casters for it as well. I have used this amp only once at rehearsal but am very happy with the sound. Plain and simple .... its perfect..
    I am not a fan of the onboard effects but thats just me....

Cannot compare the two amps but I very rarely use effects on the bass when in a band situation..
    only a chorus at the very beginning Boogie Oogie Oogie.. :)
    If I am practicing alone I like to mess around with the effects.

5. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I've never tried the BA210, but I've had a B100R for 5 years, used it extensively (including on festival stages) and it's been fantastic-- plenty loud for me, and very warm, as others have said.
    Of course, you really need to do a comparison yourself to see which one suits your tastes. For example, I've always tended to gravitate toward 15s, since I'll sacrifice some clarity for some nice, round, low end thickness!

6. Uncle Amos

Uncle Amos

Sep 3, 2004
    Ahh, the best advice. I plan on doing this soon.

7. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I can't compare amps, but built-in effects have been very poor quality to my ears. However, I can recommend the B100R. It's loud, versatile, and make sure you get casters with yours. I bought mine used and the s.o.b. kept his casters. :spit:

Don't get too huge up on wattage. 220 isn't twice as loud as 100. It's just a bit louder, if at all.

8. Uncle Amos

Uncle Amos

Sep 3, 2004
    I've heard that before about the effects. Thanks for the info!

9. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    Many people, myself included, swear by their b100r. No amp in that range has such a die hard following, and there is a reaason for it.

10. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    If they made a 1000watt version of the B100R, i'd own it. I love this amp.
    However, to be fair, i've never tried the 210 you're considering.

11. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I have entertained the idea of selling my SWR - Acme rig and just using another B100R. I couldn't get some of the extreme lowend or get even close to the money I put into that rig, so I don't do it. I have come very close.

If I find another used B100R around, I will buy it.

12. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    +1 for the B-100R

13. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I love the B100R-so much so, that I purchased a second to use as a stack. It really didn't do much of anything (stacked or side by side) though, and after I played a gig where the other bassist had a Peavey Mark IV and a Hartke 4X10 cab, I went on to a different big rig. The Peavey/Hartke setup had way more low end.

That being said-I love the tone of the B100R and always use it when I can.

I just picked up and Ampeg SVT-15EN which in conjunction with my Thunderfunk, sounds like a louder/deeper version of the B100R.

Back on topic for a minute-the BA115HP sounds pretty good also-not really louder than the B100R, but a bit deeper.

14. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Lync: How do you mean "It really didn't do much of anything (stacked or side by side) though". It wasn't louder, better, funkier? I am interested because, as you can read above, I have thought about a B100R stack.

15. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Scottie-the tone was somewhat wider, but when I went back to just one, it seemed to be about the same loudness overall. Especially if you placed the amp somewhat near a back wall.

I still have both and may try again, but my head/single cab is much louder and deeper.

16. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Lync: I can see how that could be true, since I said above that a 100 watt difference isn't much difference at all. I'm thinking Bergantino NV610 for a cab eventually to get an old school ampeg tone but a much louder version.

Back on Topic, I still say B100R for practice/small gigs. Everyone appears to love them, and I love mine.