Ampeg B100r Vs GallienKrueger MB150

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barroso, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Go Ampeg Go!!

32 vote(s)
  2. Mighty GallienKrueger!!

32 vote(s)
  1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    which one is your favourite?

and why?
  2. The two are very different animals. The GK was meant to be a tiny, flexible, portable powerhouse, which it accomplishes at the expense of sound. It gets loud for its size but never really sounds great.
    The Ampeg, now my only amp, appears to have been built from the ground up as a tone machine. It's simple, heavy, bulky, and has one basic sound but it's a damn good one.
  3. hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    Basically what kungfu sheriff said is true, but I voted for GK (im biased; I own one) and also cause it seems what u are looking for is a very portable amplifier, which it is. the Ampeg, while I have never played it, probably has better tone, but is a lot larger, and heavier, obviously.
  4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    OK, let's get REAL!:D
    Speaking from ownership-experience-
    To say the GK MB 150 lacks the tone-
    I have the "S" version & use it with my active Sterling-
    I add a Genz-Benz 112T ext cab w/ tweeter,
    My signal chain is embellished by a Boss LMB-3 for
    compression, as well as a variety of Boss pedals if/when I choose.
    This rig has tone to spare, it is unbelievably LOUD, I use it for small-medium gigs as well as backline, and I have received tons of compliments and expressions of disbelief that a rig that compact is so loud, clear and efficient.
    I have an Ampeg V4BH w/ an SVT-48HE as well, so I am a BIG fan of Ampeg and respect the B100 /50R mucho mas.
    BUT PU-LEEZE- Tone wise, on its own the MB has great eq and even better potential with an extension cab and proper "embellishment".
    Bob Gallien's Masterpiece IMO!
  5. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I own the GK and I jammed w/ the ampeg this past summer.

KFS is right, they are very different animals. If it was only down to these two, I would choose based on genre/tone. If you play rock or blues, go with the ampeg. If you play jazz or country go with the GK. The GK is more versatile, the ampeg is louder. Both sound good in their own way.
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've gone through lots of amplification... I still have my B-100R. I'd take it any day over the GK.
  7. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    let's try this again, m'kay?

8. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France

I just got my B-100R, and I can testify it is an awesome amp. I don't regret that purchase at all.

I did not compare it with GK, though.
  9. barroso

Aug 16, 2000

what do you mean with "I did not compare it with GK, though"?

is it a matter of sound or quality?

do you feel that between these 2 amps there is a difference in quality amd reliability?

thanks a lot!
  10. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    BTW, the weight of the B-100R ain't gonna be a problem for me... :p

11. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I mean I didn't try the GK at all, so I can't compare. And I can't say anything about GK quality, sound, reliability. Though, intuitively I better trust Ampeg than GK, but I can't say why. Just intuitively. And my intuition may be wrong.

All I can say is what I said in my post : the B-100R is an awesome amp.
  12. You cannot compare these two without qualifying what your requirements are. I own a GK, and have played the Ampeg. If you want total portability with wide tonal variation, then the GK is the one. If you want solid rock tone, then Ampeg rules. I find the above statement of the GK having limited tone to be amusing. I wonder if that person has actually tried one, or is just guessing.
  13. The GK absolutely has a flexible tone--that 4-band EQ is powerful--and the signal-path possibilities blow the Ampeg away. It's a damn good amp, and I loved mine while I had it, enough that I play with the idea of getting another. But because it's a small amp in a little metal box, it cannot sound as big as the large, heavy plywood-box Ampeg. My Ampeg rattles things in my house. My GK never did, and couldn't fill out the low end under a band.
    As was said above, if you want big, fat rock/blues/old-school tone the Ampeg is your beast. If you play jazz (country??) or modern music on a modern bass that demands a bright or scooped-mid tone, the GK would probably serve you better.
    Hunt the damned things down, play them, and let that be the end of it.
  14. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    man! go with the ampeg! it's hefty, but it is a tone machine, it sounds amazing (although sucks for slapping, but i play fretless so who cares) I own one, and have never regreted my choice (even when carrying it up flights of stairs) go Ampeg go!:D
  15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Depends on what kind of slap tone you're after. For an old school, meaty type of slap it's very good. For extra crispy highs, that's not it's thing... but it does indeed have nice, natural sounding highs. The B-100R can hold up in the mix very well IME. I use mine with all of my basses, 4's,5's and 6's, fretted or fretless.

People seem to think that you can't get highs without a tweeter. Wrong.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I agree with Brad. The Ampeg B100R has great sounding highs. I don't think you would have any problem slapping with it. Obviously it won't sound like an SWR for instance, but it sounds great. I would have to say that the Ampeg is one of the best sounding combos out there.
  17. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    When I hear "Ampeg" I think longingly of my
    70's B-15N, oh, man, was that a tone machine...
    and now, to my awesome V4BH! used with a SVT48HE- 4x8" w/ a horn gents! WHooo-Hoooo
    tone to the max!
    Now then, having just played a rather, ahem,
    ass-kicking session if I do say so myself with nuthin'
    but my G-K MB-150S, having the very skilled guitarist say at the end, "Is THAT your amp???"
    Oh, man I love it!
    Yes, Ampeg rocks out, and I, my ownself, dig the B100 to no end...
    But ladies, please!!!
    It kicks arse, it beats butt, it has so much tone it hurts!! What an awesome piece of electronics.
    The Nobel Prize to Bob Gallien!!!
    (Sorry, I get rowdy when I wind down after sounding sooooo in-de-pawkett"!!
    Aaaah, I hate these " X vs. X" polls- you know damn well the answer is what I, I mean we, like!!!!
  18. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    You guys have nailed the tonal differences. Truth be told, I'd rather have the sound of the Ampeg.

But I bought the GK because I can carry it easily with one hand. Given the size, weight, volume, and array of tones, it really is a miracle box.

Kind of expensive though :-(
  19. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I like both of those amps a lot, but I own the GK. I bought it when they first came out around 1991.

It's been a great little amp, and it sure is super loud for its size, and when coupled with an extension cab, it's loud enough for club gigs. I used to drive an original Guild/Hartke 4x10 with mine, and it sounded great.

I still use it alone, or with my SWR WM 1x10 ext cab, or in series with a WM10 combo, or with a SWR Goliath II 4x10. It's a very versatile amp, and it has a huge range of tones.

I've used the Ampeg at stores and at rehearsal. It's a fantastic amp as well, but like others have said, it's a meant for a different purpose. The tone is classic Ampeg bass. I find 15" speakers a bit slow and not as well defined as 10's or 12's though.

I would think about your needs and what kind of music you want to play. It'll become very clear which amp fits them better.

AS a side note, I wouldn't depend on being able to play rock music with the GK MB without an extension cab. The Ampeg does it easily.
  20. i own the 200MB and had played the b-100 combo. With an extension cabinet on both. The 200MB is louder and better tone