1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg B15N 1966 with male plug to the cabinet.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ron Welby, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Ron Welby

Ron Welby

Mar 27, 2019
    Newport, RI
    I had a male plug into the cabinet put on a while ago so I could use this amp with a stronger speaker. I’m thinking a fender cabinet with one 15” speaker might work. Any other suggestions? And can I go directly from the amp or do it need some intermediary device. Thx

2. What's wrong with the speaker cabinet the amp comes with?

Remember the the speaker out socket on the amp is wired in SERIES with the driver in the cabinet. It also changes the tap on the OPT from 8Ω to 16Ω.

3. Ron Welby

Ron Welby

Mar 27, 2019
    Newport, RI
    Thanks Paul. Could maybe explain in English for an old-old school guy. Can I plug this into a Fender bottom directly or not? Sorry just starting back playing at 72 tons of stuff to catch up on. Thanks Paul.

4. Ron Welby

Ron Welby

Mar 27, 2019
    Newport, RI
    I am currently running both the Ampeg plus running an output link into a Traynor bass amp to distribute the sound and that seems to be working ok. Appreciate the your input.

5. Ron Welby

Ron Welby

Mar 27, 2019
    Newport, RI
    The speaker the amp comes with is OK it a 40 year old Jensen but it tends to get fuzzy when the volume is above 5.

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
  7. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Ron,
    Could you snap a quick picture of the connector? Ampeg B-15's originally used a 4 pin Cannon connector, into the cabinet. If you forgot to plug the cable from the head to the cabinet, that connector was wired

in such a way to put the head into standby mode. If it's been modified with a 1/4" input jack the standby function was defeated. Fender cabinets are standard 1/4" jacks. if you run the cabinet from the Ampeg's extension

speaker it will bump the impedance over to the 16 ohm tap on the transformer. So you're really getting more volume from the amplifier with a single it's single 8 ohm 15" Jensen. You might try running the amp out into the Traynor as it's designed to

connect to amps together. Fender cabinets and Ampeg cabinets aren't a good match with one an other.

Ron Welby likes this.
  8. Ron Welby

Ron Welby

Mar 27, 2019
    Newport, RI
    Thanks this is very helpful. The input jack is the same as a standard guitar jack. The amp works well when use Jensen speaker and also link the output from the back of the ampeg into the low input channel on the traynor. Both amps share the volume and there's no fuzzy sound from either amp. Is there a cabinet that I could plug directly from the amp head into that would work? Thinking i just might be better off recording the guitar and doing digital mixing. Appreciate the help.

Ric Vice likes this.
  9. Ron Welby

Ron Welby

Mar 27, 2019
    Newport, RI
    Ric Vice likes this.
  10. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Any 8 Ohm speaker will work through the extension speaker jack. You just cannot connect the two cabinets to each other. The extension speaker jack connects the internal speaker and the extension in series to the 16 Ohm tap on the transformer.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    BassmanPaul and Bass 45 like this.
  11. Ron Welby

Ron Welby

Mar 27, 2019
    Newport, RI
    Thanks Ric really appreciate it! I checked out the Wiki and things are starting to make sense.

JimmyM likes this.
  12. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Great,
    David spent a lot of hours compiling all that information and it's very comprehensive.

Ron Welby and JimmyM like this.