1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg B15N purchase advice please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tim1, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    This has turned up on our Craigs list equivalent. It has me seriously tempted, but before I make a serious bid I would welcome any advice from those in the know as to its apparent originality, or any other comments. I know they are marvellous amps, more interested in anything I should watch out for or info from those in the know (Jimmy???) about this particular version.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=648813020

2. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Looks pretty good, did they use round-magnet Eminence back then though? How does it sound?

3. The old B15N's used CTS as standard IIRC.

4. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Yep

5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It looks like it is nice shape. The speaker is non original, it has a 67- beginning the part number so it's an eminence. Not necessarily a bad thing. I'd want to know if any mods were done.

jwewmark has a '71, about the same as this one. You might want to get his thoughts.

6. It's obviously been VERY well taken care of.

When "beans" says mods, I presume he means besides the 220v conversion.

7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    That's true, I don't consider a 220V conversion a mod. Same goes for a three-conductor power cord or a power supply re-cap.

I have seen amps where people have totally rebuilt the inside with new parts. That's not so good. Unless it sounds great.

These amps sound really great. You just have to keep in mind that it isn't going to carry a big room as well as a more powerful amp.