1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg B15N question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mediaman, Apr 17, 2010.

1. mediaman

mediaman

Apr 16, 2010
    New Jersey
    I have a 1968 model of this amp. I am pretty sure that it has had the speaker replaced. Does anyone know what the original speaker model
    was used ? and where I might find one ?
    -

2. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    I can't help you with the original speaker info, but if you own a fliptop, you would probably want to know about this site:

http://www.fliptops.net/

They'll probably have the speaker you are looking for.

Good luck. :bassist:

3. mediaman

mediaman

Apr 16, 2010
    New Jersey
    thanks

4. Vintage-Blue

Vintage-Blue Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Owner, Vintage Blue (repro cabinets)
    According to "Ampeg - the Story Behind the Sound" it looks like your cabinet would have come with a CTS 15" speaker (54 oz. magnet) standard or a JBL D-130F as an alternate. I think both of these show up on eBay. The new Eminence speakers sound good too. Hope this helps.

5. I have seen one cabinet of this era with a square mag Jensen C15LL and my ‘70 has
    an Altec 421.

MM

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    the altec is legit for that time frame. the jensen isn't. starting in 65, ampeg quit using jensens and went to cts for the basic model.

and mark from vintage blue is right...the eminence beta 15 and delta 15a sound just like the old cts that ampeg used in the 60's.