Ampeg B2 combo for $450!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fleabass89, May 24, 2001.

1. I might be able to get an Ampeg B2 350 watt combo for only 450. Should I take it?
  2. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    It's not that cheap, quite a normal price actually.

I recommend that you try it out.
    You might not like the "Ampeg-sound"...I have an Ampeg B100r and I'm not entirely sure that it is the sound that I like.
    Talking about flowing notes, instead of jumping notes.

Furthermore, the B2 is heavy as...
  3. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    That's a great price on a new unit. Not bad for a used one in very good condition. Is this the 15" model or the one with four 8" speakers?
  4. Yeah, if it's new, then that's a damn good price. My B2R (the head version) set me back $400 USED.

Niels has a good point though, check out the sound - Ampegs sound nothing like SWRs, Edens, etc and you might not like it (a thicker chunkier kinda "fuzzy" sound).

And as long as the internal speaker is 8Ohms, then you can add another 8Ohm cabinet to squeeze out the full 350W.

Will it be loud enough for ya (like, what other instruments/players are you up against?)

5. im gonna be playin with a moderately volumed drummer and guitarist (with distortion on, if that makes any difference)

i think it would be enough
  6. Yeah that would be enuf (even by itsself)...I was just mentioning it 'cause I thought my B2R would be the end of all my volume worries, but unfortunately was not (although i'm up against 3 x guitars + drums).
  7. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    hi niels i tried the b100r and like it a lot. but i need an amp with speaker output rated at 8 ohm. the b2 seems to be equipped with that. can you tell me the difference in sound between the b100r and the b2? i have already read the bassplayer combo shootout.
  8. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000

I'll just write down some things, maybe you see some useful things between.

If I compare the B2 and the B100r, the B2 definitely sounded more modern, and more in your face than the B100r.
    They're both very heavy, but by being heavy, they're also quite durable. Won't let you down.

They're both solid-state, so you don't have to retube them (which will cost you $)...they sound warm nevertheless.

I choose the B100r because it was more simple (I disliked the equalizer on the B2, and lots of knobs in general), it looked more sturdy, and it projected the sound quite nicely.
    I've had complements on how it sounded, warm. But it doesn't really punch through like the B2 does. You should really decide for yourself, and try both amps. They're both everywhere.

Big problem on the B100r: you can't put an extension speaker in it.
    About ohms, don't know... Don't like science.

Maybe Brad Johnson (one of those famous people around here) can stop by and fill you in a little more.

That's it, I think.
  9. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    thanks a lot Niels

i only tried the b100r and have only good things to say about that amp. it really scucks that there is no speaker output because i have an old ampeg cab that could be very useful when playing in bigger club. i appreciate too the easy controls on the b100r, with this amp is really easy to find a goos sound in a short time. i'm agains that eq too, but i need a combo the cheaper as possible and with an external output. it seems that the b2 is the way to follow. thanks a lot for your precious and helpful words, hope the best
  10. Pau

Dec 8, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    The b2 sounds great. I tried one last night live in a not very big place. I never heard my bass sounding as good (I have a Laney amp...). I have to say that the sound was amplified by an external P.A controlled by a really hard working sound engineer and maybe that made me feel that this ampeg was better than it was. But I think that on the stage what I was hearing was the real B2 sound and it was great!!!!!!!
  11. B2 & B2r 350 watts @ 4 ohm, the B100r combo is not even comparible IMHO. Granted its only one step up in the ampeg line ,its still a big step in terms of connectivity,flexability etc.
  12. You can always switch the EQ off on the B2...then you've only got 5 knobs to deal with! :D

The B2 over the B100 is worth the extra $$ IMO.