Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg b2-r VS gallien-krueger 700rb-II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Feb 13, 2005.

1. ampeg b2-r

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. gallien-krueger 700rb-II

24 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. both heads are about the same price,

will be using with avatar 8-ohm 2x12 cabinet.

2. Get the GK. The Ampeg is 200 watts @ 8 ohms. The 700RB-II is 320 @ 8 ohms. GKs are loud amps, and I think the 700RB-II just sounds better than the Ampeg.

3. yea thats what i was expecting

4. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I'd agree with EBman, the GK is just an outstanding amplifier in virtually every way. I've never had any trouble coaxing any tone from it, if I didn't have such horrible GAS it'd still be my only amp. I love it's tone as much or more than any of my other amps, and it's so lightweight and versatile! I need to get it back from my brother ASAP. Honestly I'd say GK for almost any tone you're after, but what tone are you after?

5. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    What about the bigger models? How are the 1001 and 2002 heads compared to say, the SVT4?

Edit: I've played a 700RB, liked the tone, too quiet. My old Peavey combo could run louder and still be clean.

6. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Wow... what the heck kind of combo were you running and what were you using the GK with? Mine's loud as hell through an avatar B410 or an SWR Goliath II. The 1001RB-II is the same amp as the 700 but with a bigger power section, hence it drives 480 I think @ 8 ohms and 700@4 ohms. But they're the same amp. I'm not very familiar with the 2001RB except that everyone I've heard says it has the same classic GK tone but with even more power. I'd say it's probably outstanding and crazy loud. Flea uses 3 of them.

7. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    The thing to remember about the 700RB (as well as the 1001RB) series is that there are three (well, actually four if you are using the bi-amp feature) controls for controlling the volume... The input gain control, the boost control and the woofer control. The best way to start is to set both the boost and woofer knobs at 12 o'clock, start with the gain at 0 and then raise the gain accordingly until you reach the volume you need. If you still need more volume, raise the woofer knob to 1 or 2 o'clock. I've never had to go above 9 o'clock on the gain of my 1001RB II even when playing without PA support. Of course I'm driving a Schroeder 1210, which is an insanely loud cabinet in the first place :p .

- Ugly.

8. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    That's probably the problem, I was playing the 700RB (not the 700RB II out now) in a store. It was pushing two Hartke 4.5XL cabs. It sounded wonderful but if the input gain went above 2 fell apart. However I don't remember where the other knobs were set. Chalk it up to the sales rep not knowing how the product worked (guess what kind of store it was?).

As for my old combo it was a basic TNT115, single 15 inch speaker with a horn, around hundred watts I think. Not spectacular but it did have the virtue of being able to go all the way to 11 without clipping or sounding like crap...for a few years...

I think I'll have to take another look at the new GK lineup. Some of my favorite basswork, at least in regards to tone, is from Dave Ellefeson of Megadeth who used GK+Hartke exclusively for a long time.

9. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I bought a B-2R and for 200w/ into 8 ohms or 400w/ into 4 ohms, it is not a very loud amplifier. For me it was inadequate. I upgraded to an Ampeg SVT3PRO which I love.

10. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah... I'm not a GK fan, but ANYTHING has to be louder than the B2R. It's the sissy of the Ampeg heads. It's now been downgraded to my preamp. :meh:

11. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Agreed about the B2-R. I tried one with an Ampeg 15 cab a few years ago and thought it was very quiet.

The 700RB, OTOH, is a loud amp...and fairly aggressive, too.

I set mine with the gain at about 11 o'clock, the boost at about 10 o'clock and the Woofer/Master at about noon. Plenty loud. By the time the boost gets to noon, the amp is roaring. OTOH, w/o the gain turned up to at least 9 o'clock the volume is a little weak.