Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B200R...anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Just looking for some first hand user reports on the B200R?
    I like my trusty old B100R, but I'm not gonna upgrade til I hear from some folks who have actully laid hands on the 200R first...no one here in my hometown has one to try:(

2. jbassbob

jbassbob

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID
    I'm interested too but, Ampeg hasn't even listed it on their site yet :meh:

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I think it's kinda funny that they stuck a 12AU7 in the preamp... I wonder what part it's gonna influence the most? :confused:

4. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
  5. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    bump, i want some info too, i wish they would post the info on that new 12 inch cab too.

6. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Hopefully nothing...the B100R sounds great just the way it is, if they've "mucked it up" with a preamp tube that goes to grit uncontrollably, that'd suck.

7. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    That, and what is a tweeter doing on the B200R? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the whole "vintage" vibe?

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I doubt it's gonna add any grit at all. A 12AU7 has only 30% of the gain of a 12AX7. But yes, IMHO the B-100R is one of the perfect small combos (and I'm not a huge fan of Ampegs).

9. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    That's why I switched the pre tubes in my '65 Bassman to 12au7's...worked pretty well there.

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Just curious Chef, do you still have that Bassman?

11. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    No sir, after owning for 30+ years, I finally sold it. It was a neat piece of gear, but not really loud enough for playing out, and the TFB and wt800B seem to work just as well in the studio, and the B100R works very well when mic'd...and I got a ridiculous chunk of change for it.
    So, I sold it, and bought both a 51 reissue P, and a 62 Reissue J...:)

12. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
  13. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Hmmm, maybe Ampeg is now in the business of "vaporware".

14. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Hey Chef

I own a pair of the new Ampeg 12's. I haven't given them a thorough workout yet in a host of different venues with assorted amps, but heres a quick rundown of my experiences so far.

A few weeks ago we did a short North Cali tour & I picked up the Ampeg cabs before the second show. i was using a solid state Peavey head from one of the local bands with a sansamp bddi on the front end. I had to use a peavey 810 cab for the first show. i never was a fan of peavey & really dislike their 810 cabs that I have heard, but my BDDI at least made the tone passable.

However, for the later shows i used the Ampeg 112 cabs with that same head, and the Ampeg cabs made a world of difference to the tone. I stacked the Ampeg 12's "tall ways" so it looked like a mini stack & also got the speaker surface closer to ear level. the cabs were connected in paralell... 4 ohms. the Ampeg 12's tone is the throaty growl that I like & they sound EXACTLY like they did when I first heard them in the booth at NAMM, even when they were pushed. I used "just a bit" of the horn on only one of the 112 cabs. the horn's level setting i used is the same that i use with my 410HE... turned up +/- 1/4 of the way.

A pair of these little cabs is not going to carry the entire room in a club, thats what the PA is for, but they carried the stage volume for me with no problems - just a bit in the monitors to fill in when i am on the other side of the stage from the cabs (i do move around quite a bit). If I used two pairs, I probably would not need the bass in the monitors at all.

But we also played this little metal bar/club in San Jose one night and the pair carried the room un mic'd. Now of course this was not a bowel shaking low end in this small club, although I could have pushed more low end, but that would have not been appropriate in that setting. But the mids cut through and were very growly. I actually had to turn down cause i was overpowering the drums... and my drummer is a hard hitter.

the tone is close to my SVT 410/15 setup, but with a bit more mid growl & a bit less "useable" low end. Keep in mind the 12's are ported, the lows stay tight if you roll off, but are boomy if you boost them. I think its actually closer to the tone of my SVT 810 (vintage box, new speakers). Obviously the amps eq settings are a bit different than what i would use with the 410/15 or 810.

I have also used the 12's in my studio with my Ampeg SS150H and again, I think they sound sweet. I will try them with my vintage SVT & with my Stewart World 1.2 when I am able to be loud about it & then start a seperate thread with results... probably in a month or so.

I dig these cabs. I would love an Ampeg 212 cab thats rated @ 600 watts so I dont need a pair of the 12's rated @ 300 watts, but I'll survive. :)

Hope this helps

15. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    Are there differences in the pre and power amp sections of the Ampeg B200R and the Ampeg BA115HPT?

16. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    again with the bump;)

17. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
  18. 'scuze the Newbie here but was is the "bump" all about?:confused:

I know what bump 'n' grind is about (well...in MY world I know what it's about) but wuzzap wit da "BUMP"?:eyebrow:

19. jbassbob

jbassbob

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID

It's just a way of reactivating the thread to keep the subject alive.
    As in to "bump to the top".

bumpity bumpity bump :)

20. They put a tweeter in it? :crying: that's just a crime. Hopefully you can switch it off.

I too really love the B100R, it just nails the sound that I usually go for. My current big rig has that sound covered pretty well, but if I ever wanted to buy a combo, that would be it. Interested to hear more about the new model.