Ampeg B200r Problem!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pet Politics, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Pet Politics

Pet Politics My real name is Michael, but how exciting is that?

Nov 14, 2007
    Burbank, CA
    Hopefully someone here can help me out with my problem.. I've tried searching this forum as well as others and can't find anything similar.

I've had the combo for about 6 months and I like everything about the amp except for what happened today.

I plugged in, flipped the power switch on and everything seemed fine, until I turned the volume up on my bass and got no response. I thought maybe my cable was trash, so I tried another one as well as trying another bass with the same results.

I'd like to take the head out of the cab so I can check the fuse and the input jack, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the friggin' thing out, it's like it's machine pressed into the cabinet. There are 3 screws on each side and nothing else seems to be holding it in place..

Before I get my crowbar out, does anyone know something about this combo I don't? :confused:

Another thing I noticed was it was making a weird popping sound as it was turning off the last couple times I used it.. Normally it has a little thump when I shut it down.. the pop was a little different, not really loud or horrible sounding, just different. I didn't think much of it until now.

Anyone else have a similar problem with this combo? I'm on my own here, I bought the amp used but NEW in a sealed box from somebody that already had one b200r, mine was a spare/backup. So in other words, no warranty. :crying:

Thanks.

Oh yeah... I never switched the speaker input to the "no horn" setting like the other people that were having grounding issues. Makes me wonder if I did actually set it to "no horn" if mine is another defective model!

2. Well, I do not have this combo myself, but since you stated it made some weird noises when you turned it off and now you get nothing, would check the tube. They can bust a filament due to thermal expansion and contraction. Dig it out and get a local electronics store to test it for you. Also eye for blown or over heated marks on the board.

Good luck getting it open...:confused:

3. Pet Politics

Nov 14, 2007
    Burbank, CA
    Do tubes ever go bad this soon? Well, I'm sure they have, but I would think (hope!) that a tube wouldn't go bad so soon. I'm not really familiar with tube amps (or preamp tube in my case), I've always used SS amps up until this one.

If it is the tube, can I just drop a replacement in or do adjustments need to be made?

thanks.

4. Well, who would think the check engine light comes on when you roll a new car off the lot? It happens.

The tube in that preamp provides your gain. Instead of a transistor doing it, it uses the electron emissions in the tube to do it. No gain no sound. The preamp then hands its signal to another amp which gives it to another amp which gives it to the power amp.

The tube will run you a whole of about fifteen bucks to replace. Have it tested first though. Pull it straight out. Push the new one in flush with the socket. Test it out.

I have never messed with this combo, I do know Ampeg told me themselves if a tube dies you will have NO sound. Period.

No biasing on preamp tubes. Just swap them and be done.

5. big stubby

big stubby

Feb 1, 2007
    I have a ampeg ba115 and was having the same popping problems. Took it to a repair rep and he had to re-solder all the connections. Haven't had a problem since then. Mine was made in China and don't think that quality control is what it used to be when Ampeg was made in the USA. The authorized repair rep agreed with me.

6. I am sorry to hear that, but at least you did not have to shell out a bunch for parts. I really hope Ampeg steps up and monitors what these guys pass under their name.

And yes, for the record, I own an Ampeg and I hate to see the company slide.

7. Pet Politics

Nov 14, 2007
    Burbank, CA
    As Bassmodder suspected, it was a bad preamp tube. I replaced the GT tube with an Elctroharmonix AU7.. I didn't notice any changes in the sound, and imo, that's a good thing.

I'm a little disappointed about the problem, but hey, it could have been a lot more expensive than 10 bucks.

Also, I tried using the amp without the horn and I didn't have the blown fuse issue (yet :eek:). Does the fuse blow instantly? I played on it for about an hour with the horn off. Was this strictly a problem with the 'Made in Vietnam' b200r's? Mine was made in China.

thanks.

8. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    Mine is made in China, and I don't use the tweeter. Sounds great. However, and I am not sure this is the problem, but when I switched over to NOT use the horn, I did it with the amp turned off.

9. Pet Politics

Nov 14, 2007
    Burbank, CA
    I did it the same way and still no problems. I'm assuming that I'm in the clear now. :bassist:

It does sound a lot better without the tweeter. I currently have the bass at 4, the mids flat, treble all the way off with all the ultra buttons on and it sounds awesome with my jazz.

It's been the perfect soundtrack for football today!

10. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    A friend of mine has had some pretty bad luck with these things. He tried one at GC, but it had some rattling issues, so he passed on that one, and ordered one from the local Ampeg dealer here. When it finally arrived, he picked it up from the store, brought it home, and it did nothing when he plugged it in. Powered up, but no sound. Took it back, the tech looked at it, and it turned out that something on the inside was majorly damaged.

So they sent that one back, and got in another one for him. Tested it in the store, it seemed to work OK, so he took it home. Within a day or two, he started getting some horrible rattling/buzzing noises from this one, similar to the one we had tried at Guitar Center. He took it back to the store, the tech checked it out, found a few "issues" with it (stripped screws holding in the speakers, a couple other loose parts, very poor job of applying the silicone inside the cabinet, etc).

He ended up just getting a refund and walking away. It's too bad, too, because they are wonderful sounding amps when they actually work like they are supposed to.:meh:

11. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I had pretty much the same scenario happen to me. I loved the amp so much that I had bought a custom cover. Then 3 days later, the amp crapped out at a gig, and me with no backup! :scowl: So I returned the amp, and lucky for me I found a buyer locally for my custom cover. A real shame, because it sounded amazing when it worked, and it was so cool looking. :(

12. midichlorine

midichlorine Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2005
    i use 2 of them together and its amazing!!
    no problems yet?
    hopefully mine will rock for a few years although i am thinking bout taking them to my local tech and having him hit all the joints wit da gun to tighten things up!!
    and yes, getting the chassis out is difficult, actually it sucked.

13. edmund

edmund

Mar 24, 2007
    Boston
    I went through three of these. Finally my China model is working OK. After a gig a few months ago I had to push it down the street on a piano dolly, then found the pre-amp fuze was blown. I don't know if that was the cause but now I'm much more careful when transporting it.

-E

14. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    How exactly are you using yours together? Just curious, as I am interested in doing the same thing, maybe getting another one.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021