1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg B200R safe volume question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassforce, Apr 29, 2009.

1. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    How far I can safely push the volume in my B200R?
    I set the gain just like in the manual (occasional red blink when I pluck really hard) and I set the EQ flat.

I noticed that when I set the volume at 12' o clock and more, the power light starts to wane when I pluck the strings. Is it safe for the amp? It looks like the problem with currency...

The sound is extra clean, no "farts" from the speaker and no distortion, but this power light weakening is starting to make me worried.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If your tone is clean, don't worry about it.

3. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    The problem is, that I dont trust my ears that much ;)

This amp and speaker souds lil' dirty at almost any volume - It is its character. And I always use earplugs - my drummer is loud.
    My earplugs always cut the "shhh" from cymbals and little of distortion (I use overdrives and distortions ofen - they sound weaker thru earplugs)

I'm afraid that I won't hear farting and distorting in time :( I'm afraid the speaker will burn out after 1-2hours of rehersal.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If you push it too hard, you'll hear it.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    You'll find very few combos that the cab won't take the wattage the head puts out. And if you do, they're almost always old ones. It's a good thing to be concerned about blowing it, but very doubtful it'll happen in a B200R, which is one of the better combos going, and it's extremely doubtful when you run it flat and clean.

6. bassforce

bassforce Guest

Feb 7, 2007
    The speaker is 250W RMS, the amp is 220W RMS... So everything looks safe on the paper ;)
    I heard stories about 500W amps blowing 1000W cabs and unstable current of solid state amps at max and near max volumes that could kill any cab.
    But I think that this may occur only when the EQ is irrationally boosted.
    Maybe I'm overreacting, but I really love this amp and It looks like it may be my amp of choice for ever. I'd like to keep it in good condition as long as possible.

7. this is how i run mine:

low boost: off
    mid boost: off
    high boost: off

(i find these boosts make my amp clip way sooner then with them off, besides they sound like junk)

gain: 9
    bass: flat
    lo-mid: flat + 1 (so 6)
    hi-mid: flat + 1 (6 again)
    treble: flat
    master volume: 9

direct out: 0 (i dont use it)

with my Jazz i roll down the neck pickup and the tone about 5-10% and this gives me a loud and grindy badass tone that is able to cut through in a power trio format.

i also play with a pick.

i know, i know, i should buy a bigger amp. i'm working on it.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    One good thing about the B200R is that there are a handful of inexpensive Eminence speakers that work great with the blue checker Ampegs. But I don't blame you for being cautious. It's very possible that a stray peak could blow your speaker out...if you've got it irrationally boosted. But you are well within the safe operating range IMHO. You'd have to smash your bass while plugged in to get a peak that would blow your speaker at your settings.

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    So if you ever want to sell that amp,....hint hint, it's a sure bet it'll be in great shape the way you care for it. Good for you to take the time to be concerned. So many guys just run their amps into the dirt, and complain they don't have enough volume, or whatever.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    LOL! At least in your case, you realize there's a chance you can blow it ;) But if it takes it once, it'll probably take it again. I'd be real careful about making strong peaks, though. Never plug and unplug your bass with it on, and no smashing basses while it's on!