1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg B200R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Surprise Panda!, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Hi (Gosh I haven't made a thread in a while :bag:)

I'm looking at new amps now (but then again I'm never not looking), and the Ampeg B200R caught my eye. There haven't been many recent posts about them (from searching), and I'm assuming think(?) they stopped production.

Can anyone shed some light on these? I've seen nothing but great things about them, but as they aren't around, I can't test it, and I don't like to buy instruments and instrument related products sight unseen.

I know it's not a SVT, but can I still get some good crunch from this?

Also, are there any alternative amps like the B200R in production now?

Thanks!

-Panda

2. Morning bump :O

3. mikell128

mikell128

Feb 2, 2010
    NY, NY
    I had one for a while before I sent it back. There is a huge problem with them buzzing. I had mine repaired (under warranty) and the buzzing still persisted. If it wasn't for the buzzing though I would have loved the amp. It sounded great, the DI out sounded great and obviously it looks great. The tone did sound great though IMO.

The buzzing though was as loud as the music it was producing most of the time. The amp, for me, was on the edge of being loud enough for playing in a rock band when we don't have PA support. All in all I'd say it's not incredibly loud but sounds great. If you can find one without the buzzing issue I think you'd enjoy it but for me that killed it.

4. I'm contacting the dealer to see whether there is any buzzing or not.

If I do get it, I really hope there isn't due to the high praise of the sound quality.

Guess I'll just wait and see

Also, what amp did you get/use after you sent it back?

5. JeremyBTT

JeremyBTT

Feb 10, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Great sounding amp, but like the above said, lots of buzzing. Got mine from Samash online store from the stock they had left as like you said, they're out of production. If you can figure out a way to stop the buzzing, it's great!

6. gttim

gttim

Dec 12, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Just picked one of these up off Ebay for a great price. New, still sealed in the original box. I also found Shane Carter's buzz proofing instructions. I will work through a few of his steps.

The tone is great. I cranked it up for a bit, since my condo neighbors were all out. Loud. Vibrated a piece of track lighting off my ceiling! (Wasn't mounted properly.) And it just looks so freakin' cool!

I did think I was missing the wheels. You have to find those in the packing material.

7. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Agreed with all of the above. I went through 3 - 1st one new, then 2 replacements, then finally Ampeg sent me a BA115HP once the B200R were discontinued.

Great amp, but the buzzing is just much too work with. It's not the "oh well, there's a little buzzing now and then if you really listen for it", but it is more like "wow, I can't use this thing because the buzzing is louder than what I'm playing out of the speaker"

If it weren't for the construction flaw, it'd be a great combo.

8. midichlorine

midichlorine Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2005
    the chassis in these cannot support the transformer weight.

i highly suggest you fit or screw a 3" wide strip of ply (you can probably get remnants pretty cheap at home depot)
    very tightly on both sides between the bottom of the chassis and the top of the box.
    this will help in securing the amp chassis which WILL crack and cause buzzing as well.
    word

9. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    There were a number of reported problems with the B200R. The B100R on the other hand has always received great reviews. I had two of them and they were terrific. The series is discontinued as stated above, but a used B100R will always be a good thing.

10. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I had 2 B200r's that I couldn't get to stop buzzing (and it drove me nuts). Sounded great so poor me :bawl:

I returned them. My B100r which I've owned for a while can be cranked to 10 with no buzzing though.

In comparison, the B200r had more punch and depth....not a ton more, but it was noticeable at practice levels.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 4, 2020