Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg b25 a guitar amp?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by register, Feb 21, 2003.

1. register

register

Mar 31, 2002
    Boston
    hey, i was thinking of picking up the ampeg b-25 head today, but i've been looking around and it seems that maybe the b25 is a boring old 6-string guitar head, and that there's a b25-B that's for the bass. but i've also seen the b25-B as a bass CAB. someone set me straight. also, if it IS a guitar tube head, what will happen if i put a bass through? and mind you, i plan on CRANKING the mofo.

john

2. I've been kind of puzzled by that recently too. I thought the B25 was just a bass head until I saw a recent Ampeg ad on eBay that showed 2 different B-25 setups. The picture was too small to read any details. I think the only difference was the cabinet, though. I may go look up that auction and email the winner to see what the ad says.

I think there is only one B-25 type head. It could be used for guitar or bass.

I love mine, but it's only 50 Watts and will not do much more than play alongside unamplified drums and no more than a 30-40 Watt guitar amp. This of course is perfect for jamming or practice at sane levels, but will probably not be loud enough for a big gig.

Standard vintage caveats apply - it will probably need some work, and you'll need to be nice to it if you want it to live forever. But man, the sound is fat and sweet!

Chris

[​IMG]

3. register

register

Mar 31, 2002
    Boston
    Hey, thanks. I'm going to pick it up i think, because i love the sound of it, but if there are problems they have a 2 year warranty on used gear and a nice return policy, so it shouldn't be a problem. I just want to be able to play basement parties and small bars without a PA, aside from that i'll mic it. any other advice?

4. As my friend was told when he bought a nice airbrush one time, "Treat it like you would a woman." :D

Standard tube amp advice:
    Don't sling it around
    Make sure you never drop it or beat it up (shorted tubes for sure).
    Always have a speaker hooked up to it before powering up.
    Turn ON AC, wait 15 seconds, then turn on Standby when powering up. When powering down, just kill the AC without killing the Standby switch. Make sure the Standby is OFF before you power up next time.

That head can only run 8 or 16 ohm loads - NO 4 OHM LOADS! In its original state it had an attached cable with a funky connector. This cable if it is still attached will probably have a standard 1/4" plug on it by now, and that is your 16 ohm tap. If you want to run an 8 ohm cab, you'll need to leave the attached cord not plugged into anything (and maybe even taped up to keep the tip from shorting to chassis) and just plug the 8 ohm cab into the EXT SPKR jack, which then switches the amp over to the 8 ohm jack. On my amp, I removed the attached speaker cable, added in an 8/16 ohm switch, and just use the EXT jack for my output. You may want to do the same for simplicity.

Keep it forever, because as you seem to aleady realize, it is the holy grail of bass sound. You may need something bigger sometimes, but never let go of the B-25. It is the dream studio amp.

Chris

5. Oh, and the 2 channels do sound different. The channel on the left has the bass rolled off, so it doesn't have the full bass thump. The right channel is the standard Flat response bass sound, with full bass capabilities.

Believe it or not, the Left channel actually sounds better in most settings. It has good punch without being muddy.

I suggest running the Left channel, Bass at 1 o'clock, Treble at 11 o'clock. Fat.

Chris

6. register

register

Mar 31, 2002
    Boston
    hey! thanks alot for those responses, very useful. i went ahead and bought it and have a few remarks: firstly, it's awesome. second, the head does say B25-B on the front, so it was listed somewhat incorrectly. thirdly, those tube amp tips look very useful, but i have a few questions about terms:
    when you say, "turn on AC," does that mean just the 'on' switch? when you say "turn on standby when powering up," does 'turn on standby' mean set it to 'standing by,' or set it to having sound come out when you play the instrument? thanks alot!

7. register

register

Mar 31, 2002
    Boston
    another Q: when is it possible to combine channels a la jimi henrix on a marshall by putting the instrument into channel 1 and then putting a connector jack from channel 1 into channel 2? or will that cause it to die? i won't try it till i'm positive it'll work, but then again, maybe it wouldn't do anything at all. i have no idea.
    thanks again!

8. register

register

Mar 31, 2002
    Boston
    if anybody knows the answers to those last two questions, i'd appreciate it!!! Thanks!

9. NOT RECOMMENDED! I tried that once on my SVT and it caused a huge ripple in the space/time continuum. I was able to peer into the future and it is not pretty! SS amps had taken over the world. Numbers like 6550, 12DW7, 7027, and 6L6 had been stricken from all language. An object, shaped like a stanby-switch, spoke to me and said that only a very small number of "holdouts" would exist in a tiny pocket of Tennessee. The voice sounded strangely familiar...

10. To turn on the amp, turn the Standby switch to where no sound would come out, before you turn the Power switch on. What this does: it lets the tubes heat up before you put a signal to them. (It's confusing to say "turn the Standby switch on--does that mean ON as in letting sound come out, or ON as in putting the amp on Standby?) Anyhow, the Standby switch shut be set to where the amp is on Standby--meaning no sound comes out....then turn the power switch on. This isn't a major deal, by doing this it can help the life of the tubes that's all.

Don't try to jumper the two inputs, you won't gain anything...just plug in to either of them and play.

Good luck, sounds like you got a good amp.