Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B25 from ebay

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by glocke1, Jun 9, 2005.

1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    Ohio
  2. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    I think it's worth it. Two prongs is normal, too.

Even if the amp requires rebuilding, I'd say it's a fair deal. Try it out, but be wary of strange behavior. If it acts up, shut it down have it looked over by a qualified tech.

3. FenderP

FenderP Supporting Member

May 7, 2005
    Massachusetts
    I have this amp ... love it. Just leave it in its original configuration with 7027As :)

4. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    Ohio
    Thanks guys. Unfortunately it does have an issue. No sound output. The power light comes on, and it looks like all of the tubes light up except for the one on the far left (looking at it from the back, the leftmost large tube)..Should I just try putting in a new tube there and see what happens before I take it to a tech?

5. No, take it to a tech first. An ounce of prevention, etc...

6. I agree, take it to a tech. The tube could be perfectly good and you could be wasting some perfectly good cash buying a new one. wasting cash is bad.:scowl:

7. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    Ohio
    Well, I found a guy locally who works on these, he mentioned that he generally uses Sovtek tubes when retubing these...
    anyone have any opinions on these?

8. The large tubes are 7027s and they are the power tubes. No output could be a transformer issue.

Jeff

9. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    If any of you are near me in Santa Cruz, CA or in the Bay Area, I have the B25B cab that matches this head. It's got 2 15s and is currently wired in 4ohm (though you could easily switch it back to 16). I paid $40 for it at a garage sale four years ago and would sell it for the same.

10. CFHostile

CFHostile

Jun 20, 2005
    I'm in Santa Clara, and I can arrange to come over the hill and pick it up if you're still interested. I actually just acquired a B-25 head this past Saturday, so let me know if I can complete the setup! Shoot me an email @ CFHostile@yahoo.com. Thanks.

11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I'd use JJs instead. Sovteks are ok, but pretty bland sounding, and kinda harsh when pushed.