1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg B25 Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brandau, Sep 14, 2008.

1. brandau

brandau

Jan 30, 2008
    NYC
    I just acquired an old blue line b25. It sounds amazing at low volume, but as soon as it starts to overdrive it makes a nasty buzzing distorted sound. Its really harsh. I have a V4b and when it overdrives it sounds like overdrive- creamy and fat. I've tried the B25 through multiple cabinets and it does it in all of em. Any thoughts? I'm def gonna take it to a tech, but I'm curious what might be causing this. Thanks

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    One thing is, the head is rated for a 16 ohm load, so check into that straight away. Those are great sounding heads, but they are also a little noisey. But, check that speaker load out.

3. brandau

brandau

Jan 30, 2008
    NYC
    Yeah, so I have a 16ohm cab. Itl run at 8ohms too. I've tried both

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Can you lower the treble and get less noise(?), otherwise, maybe it needs servicing.

5. brandau

brandau

Jan 30, 2008
    NYC
    Once the volume is past 10oclock it freaks out regardless of the eq settings. I switched out the preamp tubes and it didn't change anything. Could it be a bad cap?