Ampeg B25 speaker replacement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Finn Mc Carthy, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Finn Mc Carthy

Finn Mc Carthy

Feb 6, 2015
    Hi folks. I have an ampeg b25 2x15 cab belonging to my father. He put in peavey black widows before my time which don’t do much for me or the cabinet.

I’ve been looking at eminence
    - delta
    - beta
    - legend cb158

a few people now have recommended the 158s, though they don’t have the ribbed cones.. any thoughts welcome. I play a 70s P with rounds & a 70s mustang with flats. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
  3. Finn Mc Carthy

Finn Mc Carthy

Feb 6, 2015
    Cool, thanks. If it’s good enough for someone’s b15 it’s more than likely to be good enough for me. & it has a ribbed cone, I don’t believe any of the others do

beans-on-toast likes this.
  4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Had one of these, tried both betas and deltas in the cab. Preferred the betas, but either would work.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  5. 808State

808State Inactive

Dec 30, 2020
    Black Widows would sound better than a cheap Delta

The 158 is a heavy duty cast frame similar to Eminence pro series. Its a little dark for some.

A very well rounded 15" with ribbed cone and good mids and highs is the
    Kappa 15pro.
    Sensitivity is also very high 101 dB

KAPPA PRO-15A - Loudspeakers | Eminence Speaker

6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    The Beta 15A is reasonably close to the tone of original driver, good sensitivity, reasonable cost.

7. 808State

808State Inactive

Dec 30, 2020
    The Delta or the Beta is a good buy.
    The Delta sounds slightly better at lower levels and works out better thermally for PA applications.

But at band levels the Beta doesn't compress or fart out as early.

Maybe because the Widows are older.
    The Black Widows in good condition will outperform both the Delta and the Beta.

I haven't seen a B25 cabinet in a long time.
    Very wide but shallow cabinet.
    The ports were just holes cut in the baffle.
    I wonder if the cab is just high tuned.
    Or if lining the cabinet would help.

A bass 15" would want a tuning around 40 to 50hz
    I wouldnt be surprised if the cabinet is way up in the 65hz range.
    Basically any 15" might sound funny in that cab. And would fart out very easily.

Very much like the old portaflex cabs. Usually only the guitar type 15 speakers like a CTS or JBL 130s sounded right. They could tolerate the high tuning.
    You have to plug half the ports to get a actual 40hz bass speaker to sound right.

8. Finn Mc Carthy

Finn Mc Carthy

Feb 6, 2015
    A few of you guys have mentioned the black widows being better.. is that just because they’re 500w & can take more action or an actual sonic thing ?

also I was very intrigued about the tuning of the cab, which of course I don’t know. I would be up for lining it to improve sound however I just checked an old photo, I see no holes in baffle for porting

9. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    The power handling is insignificant since all speakers will be way greater than you need. It’s more of a tone and performance thing, if that suits your particular taste.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022