Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B2B vs B25

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by glocke1, Jun 6, 2005.

1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    Ohio
    I had the oppurtunity to play my alembic sereis 1 through an Ampeg B2B (using a bag end 1x15). the sound I had was nothing short of amazing.

I would like to buy one of these but cant find one. I have found a B25, and was wondering what the difference is between the two...does anyone know?

2. I have a late 70's B25B which is a 55 watt all tube head. The B25 is the guitar version. Mine sounds great but it really doesn't have the volume to be used in most gig/rehearsal situations. I use mine for recording and as my home practice amp.

Jeff

3. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    Ohio
    Are you sure the B25 is for guitar? It looks like a bass head, especially since it only has bass and tone as the tone controls....

4. If it has a reverb knob it's a B25 which is the guitar version. No reverb is a B25B.....

5. I'm kind of curious and I hope we're comparing apples to apples. I have been using (what started out to be my practice/rehearsal rig) a silver face Fender Bassman 50 and a JBL 15" in a Sonic compact cabinet. I haven't brought my Ampeg rig out to a gig in months, because this little rig sounds so good...and it's loud. I have played everything from tiny bars to larger clubs (with reinforcement) to medium sized tent shows (with reinforcement) to an outdoor gig (city street festival, no reinforcement!). I play traditional Chicago blues, west-coast swing and jump blues. What kind of music do you play where a 55 watt amp won't suffice, at least for practice/rehearsal? I might add that I never thought this little rig would have the gonads to do anything except rehearsals and tiny bar gigs but it continues to surprise me. I think the efficient JBL speaker may have something to do with it.

6. I play hard rock in a 3 piece so in many cases my B25B is just not enough. I use a 2x15 loaded with Eminence drivers and I do get pretty good volume out of it. It's got great tone and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a blues or country gig though.

Jeff

7. Ahhh...a 55 watt bass head would turn your band into an "underpower trio." ;)

8. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

I wouldn't be the least bit surprized....JBL RULES !!!!!
    What model JBL is it?

I have found that the lower powered amps require better than average speakers and then they work very well, just don't drive them into square wave distortion because that will smoke ANY speaker...don't worry if you don't know what that is...you will hear it...the most nastiest distortion on the planet.

PAS (used by SWR before Fender buy-out) is also an outstanding speaker.

Eminence are useful to bust up and make big refrigerator magnets :bag: I know some of youse guys love them but they really are junk compared to a JBL....sorry...

9. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    Ohio
    This has no reverb know on it. The controls are volume, treble and bass.

If this is the B25B, what is the difference between this and
    a "B2B". Is this just a later production model? Whould it sound the same as a B2B? The B2B I played trhoughwas the best sounding amp I have ever heard, better than my Demeter preamp actually...

10. I think it's an E-140 although it may be an M3 (from a PA cabinet). A few years back I bought several JBL loaded cabinets, both PA cabinets and bass cabinets, from Music-Go-Round. I mixed, matched, and kept the best sounding cabinet and sold the others. I have used it with a number of heads, both old Fenders and more contemporary Ampegs, over the years and it has never disappointed. I think the sound of a tube head and a JBL 15" speaker is the voice of God.

11. wighat

wighat Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Port Aransas, Texas
    I am resurrecting this thread because the question has not been answered. What IS the difference, if any, between the B-25 and B-25B? I'm in the market.

12. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015