Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B2R amp advise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dnwolfe69, Jun 22, 2005.

1. dnwolfe69

dnwolfe69

Jun 22, 2005
    Does anyone have any tips for equailizers settings on the Ampeg B2R amplifier. My band plays mostly alternative rock and a few acoutic jam type songs. You can check out some of our music at http://www.myspace.com/luciddissent or www.luciddissent.com. I have seen a lot of post that have recommended the smiley face (i.e. scooped mids) but I have also seen a few post to boost the mids. Here's my rig:

1. Ampeg SVT410HLF Cab
    2. Ampeg B2R Amp
    3. Musicman 4 Strings
    4. BOSS B50 Bass Pedal

Thanks a lot for your help.

Chris

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    If you want to get lost in the mix and sound like mud, go for the smiley faced option.

If you want the opposite in a band setting, go for a 'frown' type EQ.

3. dnwolfe69

dnwolfe69

Jun 22, 2005
    thanks for the quick response. so what is it about the boosted mids that helps you cut through better in the overall mix?

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I'm no expert on the whole sonic thing. All I know is it works.

It'd be something to do with the mid frequancies been easier to here I suppose.

Boosting the mids makes your sound cut through the mix better, instead of hearing boomy bass sounds, you'll hear solid and tight lows, plus the bass in the mix.

Someone on here could give you a real explanation... But yeah.

5. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    adjust a flat eq, first..

then adjust the mids to where you just can hear it in the mix.. then adjust your lows, and then highs..

but pay attention to your knobs on your bass.. subtle adjustments on volume and tone (or active EQ) can mess with your amps tone..
    and it should be subtle adjustments on your bass to get a wide range of tones from your rig..

over all.. write down your settings, and write a description of each settings that you find useful.. your rig's settings are not going to be "static".. set and forget.. it will always change, and you have to remember what changes are what..

this especially helpful when writing songs..

anyway, mess with it until you find something that "fits" and doesn't piss your bandmates off..