1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg B2R louder than B2RE? and Hartke Head questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Feb 21, 2008.

1. I was demoing heads today at a local music store, and they had an Ampeg B2R and the B2RE available. For those that don't know, the B2R is rated at 350 watts at 4 ohms, and the B2RE is 450 watts at 4 ohms. Playing through the same cab, and the same settings (EQ, gain and master volume with the limiter on both of them), the B2R seemed to be louder! How can this be? The one reference to this I saw was on TB, but the poster did not back it up with information, and to be honest, wasn't really the type of person I would trust with important information regarding, well, anything.

If a head is rated at even infinite watts, it doesn't matter if it's not loud. So, is the B2RE being modest, and you need to really turn it up in order to hear it, or is it not the full 450 watts it claims to be?

Also, I was playing through a Hartke head and liked the tone. Pretty smooth, but the thing that I was worried about was that on the back, it said it was rated for 350 watts at 4 ohms, but the speaker outs had 8 ohm ratings right next to the jack. Do they produce heads that can pump out both 8 AND 4 ohms simultaneous, or does it depend on a different model of the head?