Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B2r or B4r?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Freyja, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Freyja

Freyja

Apr 17, 2000
    Anyone have any experience with these two heads? What are your opinions of them?

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The B-2R seems to be substantially weaker than the "claimed" 350WRMS @ 4-Ohms. Whether the amp can be driven hard enough to actually produce that wattage on the bench at some ungodly THD figure is an open question, but people who have them and A/B them with other heads of equal rated power say that the Ampeg definitely sounds weaker.

I got the identical amp in a cab sold as the SVT-350H and have been asking around since I picked it up. Owners seem to pretty universally regard it, while nice-sounding and reliable, as underpowered and overpriced.

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Freyja, from what I've read, most of the people that own B2rs on talk bass have had nothing but good things to say about them. I assume that you like the sound of the amp and that your concerns are about having enough power for you situation. In that case I would say go with the B4r. I own one and believe me I am never under powered. I play in a very loud classic rock band so the B4r was a must. I'm sure in other situations the B2 would be fine. Of course it also depends on what speaker cabs you use.

4. i have a b4R and an 8x10 and when i have the mute button on the peak light comes on. I use two 1/4 cables to hook it up and i dont think im getting the total amount of power i should..can anyone help me figure out what would be the best way to hook it up

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    The peak light coming on when the mute button is pushed is normal. It's just a reminder that the mute is on. two 1/4 cables from the amp to the 810 cab? That ain't right. If you are wanting to run all 1000 watts to your 810 cab you need to use a speakon to speakon cable, if your amp and speaker cab are so equipped (amps sold in the US don't have the speakon conectors) , or a bannana plug (binding post) to speakon, or bannana to 1/4. Of course you have to push in the mono bridge button. Have your ampeg dwealer or someone who knows what they are doing help you. btw the manual shows how to hook everything up :D

6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I think I'd second that. From what I gather, you don't pay very much more for the additional watts, and it's always better to have them and not need them than the other way around.

As always, look for a deal!

7. Freyja

Freyja

Apr 17, 2000
    Yeah, it's more about wattage....I'm currently running two cabs -- a 4x10 and a 1x15. I assume the B4r can handle that...I'm not so sure about the B2r.

I like the sound of Ampegs and I'm leaning toward the B4r...I just haven't heard much about them, so I wanted to hear from people who own them or have played through them.

So your input is very helpful....thank you!

8. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    The B2R will handle it provided both cabs are 8 ohms. I have a B2R & a BSE-410HE(8 ohms) cab now. I'm planning to get another BSE-410 so I can get another 150 watts out of it.

9. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    you do know that the B4r has 2 power sections rated at 350 watts each right? The B2r which has one power amp rated at 350 watts will handle both cabs giving each 175 watts. There is a number of ways you can run the B4r. you could Bridge both amps into your speakers and give them 500 watts each if you wanted, as long as your speakers can handle it. Or you could run one power amp into your 410 and 1 15 giving them the same power as the B2r and run a second set of cabs on the second power amp. another 410 and 15 maybe. Or since the B4r has a crossover you could run the highs to the 410 and the lows to the 15. I run mine full range i don't bother to split the highs and lows.

Here is my rig.
    well sorta, i don't have the 210 cab pictured yet.

http://www.angelfire.com/music3/cblood56/rig.html

10. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I'm still curious if anyone else here has any opinions on the B5R. Has ANYONE else her tried it?

11. Freyja

Freyja

Apr 17, 2000
    Yeah, I know the B2r would technically work with the two cabs -- I just want to be sure I have plenty of headroom with my next amp. I've banged up against that ceiling before, and it's NO fun! So I was just going on the assumption that more watts is always better....even if you never use 'em all, at least you got 'em if you need 'em...

Here's a question, though: I believe my cabs are rated at 400W and 250W, respectively. Can I even use a head that's more than 650W? Obviously, I have no intention of using it at it's peak volume...I just wanted the aforementioned headroom so that I can upgrade to more powerful cabs in the future and not worry about my amp being able to drive whatever I end up getting.

I want to buy with room to grow, if you know what I mean...

12. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    yes you can.
    infact if you run them at a higher wattage than rated it will sound cleaner. (at least with car subs)

steve

13. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Last week i bridged my b4r at 1000 watts into my 2 bag end 15 each rated at 200 watts (they were getting 500 each) and I have also used it bridged into my Ampeg 610 hlf which is rated at 600 watts. so yes you can but you don't want to crank it all the way up.

14. Freyja

Freyja

Apr 17, 2000
    Cool....thanks!