Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B2R or GK 400RB-IV ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by superfly, Nov 15, 2004.

1. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    Which one would you choose? I don't need much power for a Church setting. I have a SWR 4004 that i am selling because it is too sterile sounding. Which one of these would give me a better starting point towards a more warmer, smoother sound?
    After reading some reviews, it seems the B2R seems underpowered and has some noisy fan problems? But sounds great?
    The GK might be alittle sterile sounding but better power?
    Hows the fan noise on the GK?

2. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    I actually had to make this similar choice a few years ago. I'd go with the GK because the Ampeg B2R is sort of a backline, "value" item. Its second to their pro-line amps. The GK 400RB-IV is essentially the pro-line of their amps.

I personally have the GK 400RB-III and i havent had any problems with it.

3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    The Gk is an oustanding amp, I had for four months before my 700RB-II arrived and noticed ZERO tone difference between the 4 and 700's. It's an amazing little amp, good power, more than enough for most gigs plus it had a DI I think, tremendous tone and it liked to be cranked. It's basically a smaller version of the 700 and 1001RB-II's. You can't go wrong with GK.

4. Go with the GK. I think its better quality and much better sounding than the Ampeg.

5. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    well ..
    GK i think

unless you want hybrid ..

if you want solid state
    GK all theway :0

right travis?

6. the B-2R is solid state as well.

+1 for the GK. got the GK-400 210 combo..
    excels at the church gigs i do.

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    GK+2
    Besides the GK has no fan noise and only comes on when the head starts to get warm. I have never noticed the fan in my previous 400RBII or my current 1001RB combo amps.

8. +3

I wasn't terribly impressed with the B2 I had. (same amp, different graphics) I did like the GK 800 rb I had in some respects, it was a great little powerful amp, built like a brick, sounded good. The only thing I didn't like was that to my ears it was one-dimensional tone-wise.

I think the 400 is voiced quite diffently though. And the power difference will hardly matter. Going from 280 to 350 watts isn't much of a dB change in volume.