Ampeg B2R or SWR 4004

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass_Dumb, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Bass_Dumb

Apr 21, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    i'm looking to get a ampeg b2r or a swr 4004....

right now i'm playing rock on a hartke, 200watts thru a hartke 4X10 cab. its not bad. i want an amp thats is very transparent.

so i'm looking to improove my gig a bit and the gear i'm playing now isn't mine.. here are the 3 options i'm thinking about:

buy a ampeg b2r

buy a swr 4004

or by a ampeg preamp and a quiet power amp

let me know what you think. and if you think any of those options would be much of an improovement.

2. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Well, I can't comment on the SWR, but as for the B2R, I think it would be an improvement sound-wise. I dont think it's particularly transparent, personally, and I found it to be quiet. Very quiet. It sounded great though. So my vote would be ampeg preamp and some other power amp, but all of Ampeg's preamps are $500 i think, so that's gonna cost significantly more. If money's not too much of an issue, I'd do that for sure.
  3. I had a SWR WM 4004... it a good amp. Very transparent (it's an SWR, remember...). I think both amps are good amps. I also played rock with my SWR, so that's ok...
    It's not too expensive to, so it'd be a good choice. Make sure you choose the right cab's!
    The option with the preamp will be significantly more expensive...
  4. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    The B2R is an ok head... but in my opinion, it doesnt live up to its price tag. It it ran at 2Ohms at say... 450W... MAYBE it would be. But... 350 @ 4 left me underpowered, even during loud practicing. $550.... not worth it, IMO.

The Ampeg preamps are $500... but you could try to go used. Or maybe you could get the sound you want out of a cheaper BBE or Sansamp. After that, a QSC would cost you $300 new for a poweramp.

New or used you could definately get into the $500 price range with certain combinations of preamps or power amps. You'd definately get more for your money... but you'd have to do some experimenting to make sure you get the tone your looking for.
  5. I've owned the Ampeg B2r and I agree that it isn't transparent but it sounds good for rock. I also agree that the power is a little less than you would expect. I would only advise getting this used. Right now they are going for about $350. They are easy to find on the Bay right now.

If you're really looking for transparency you will spend a lot of money.

I would recommend getting a power amp and preamp. This way you can switch out the preamp if you don't like it and not lose a lot of money.

I hear the BBE BMAX is a nice, deep sounding, clean preamp. Do yourslef a favor and get a quote for one at They are about $60 cheaper there than anywhere else I have seen.
  6. Bass_Dumb

Apr 21, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    thanks to everyone !!!

can anyone recommend a pre amp other than ampeg?

i'm looking to spend about 3-400 used.
  7. I have a b2r, and I pretty much hate it. It is very muddy and has very little power for being 350 watts. It does not have hardly any volume to it at all. The tone is really muddy and bassy. Maybe you would like the sansamp RBI pre amp ($300 new) If you like your hartke, but need more power, try the ha3500 or 5000 maybe.
  8. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Yeah, everyone seems to rave about the Sansamp RBI preamp. I don't have personal experience, but I haven't heard even one bad thing about it.