Ampeg B2r owners, recommend me a cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scmills, Feb 14, 2005.

1. scmills

Feb 5, 2005
    I'm looking the $400-500 range and I'm looking for a 4x10. Preferrably a lightweight cab, but i'll sacrifice the weight for sound. I play a Schecter Elite 5 String bass. Thanks for any recommendations.
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Whatever cabinet you get, make sure it's an efficient one...
  3. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yes... because the B2R is the runt of the litter when it comes to Ampeg. That's a pretty decent amount of money though. I would go with Avatars.... with the hope that you would have enough money to actually purchase 2 cabs, if you stretch a little.

The B2R disappointed me when I ran it into a 410 cab at 4ohms.... I tried using it with a 115 cab as well... and it really just made no difference. I just gave in and bought myself a power amp.
  4. scmills

Feb 5, 2005
    thanks for the advice, i am aware of the power issue with the b2r's. I really love the tone of the b2r though, so maybe i'll pick up a used one and a power amp. I'm really interested in the Avatars because of their weight, price and quality reviews, but don't they need a ton of power to get good volume?
  5. why dont you just get a used ameg pre-amp then, no sence in getting a amp that you will only use the pre for.
  6. scmills

Feb 5, 2005
    if the ampeg preamp will sound similar to the b2r then yeah i'd do that. Is this the case? I've never played a ampeg preamp. I've heard the b2r and svt 3 sound completely different, so I would need to know the preamp would sound like the b2r.
  7. well maybe, but it will definitly sound good, i think it has a tube in it so it will sound great, it is also cheaper than the b2-r and weighs less, and i belive it is 1 space. good luck
  8. scmills

Feb 5, 2005
    thanks alot for the advice fenderbluesdude, I'm going to look into this option. I actually have a line 6 pod im using as a preamp now, but i'm not happy with it, so maybe i could trade that in towards a ampeg pre.