Ampeg B2R Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spanky, May 21, 2004.

1. I just want to make sure Im understanding the Speaker impedance correctly.....I have an Ampeg has 2 - 1/4" speaker outs on the back. Its rated at 200W at 8 Ohms/350 at 4 Ohms. I have 2 - 8 Ohm 410 running both separately plugged into each of the speaker outs, Im at 4 Ohms right? And therefore getting the full benefit of the amps power? If I use one speaker out and then connect the 2nd cab off of the 1st, then what changes?
    Thanks in advance folks! Im learning so much from TB, you guys are the greatest!
  2. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    your 2 8ohm speaker cabs will be a 4 ohm load either way you connect it. Using both speaker outs or using one speaker out then cab to cab. nothing changes.
  3. What he said.

the two jacks on the amp are connected ground to ground and hot to hot. It is the same way in the cab, so it's the same either way. As a matter of fact you could run a cable from each of the amps output to each of the inputs on one speaker. You'd still have the same impedance. This is called bi-wiring and the super golden-eared audiophiles swear that this arrangement makes their speakers sound better. All it really does is reduce the resistance of the cable.

If you want a basic, tongue-in-cheek explanation of how impedance *really* works, check out this link:
  4. Thanks for the replies....I thought thats how it was but wanted to make sure. ;)