Ampeg B2r setup for slap bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FatFunker, Sep 7, 2001.

1. I know alot of you have this head and some of you must slap, so please tell me where your settings are when you slap because the settings they have in the manual are a joke. any help would be cool.:( :rolleyes:
  2. Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA

It appears we're only ones using that rig;^) Personally, it took alot of shopping around, listening, purchasing and returning, (the guys at 'Guitar Center' hated me;^o), before I settled on my Ampeg... I'd finally found what I was searching for!!

At any rate, many say it depends very much on the 'room' you're playing for. A smaller 'club like' setting is typically "tighter" and may need a 'punchier' setting. Whereas a larger 'arena area', requires more on the low end.

I usually set-up my rig to sound good to me on stage and let the FOH sound person get the mix for the PA. Unless otherwise told to do so by the mixer, (and I always politely ask), I leave it how "I" want it, and put the volume up just loud enough to hear it amongst the other instruments on stage...

As for slapn' and popn'?... I like a good bottom, a little punch, and not too 'twangy' on the high end;
    EQ: 40hz-1/2^, 80h-just under full, 160hz-1/3^, 300hz-even, 600hz-just over even, 900hz-1/3^, 2k-same as 600, 5k-same as 80, and 8k-half down.
    -that should give you a fair starting point for EQ

Bass-just over half (depending on room 'boominess')
    Mid-varies between just under or just over half
    Treble-just enough to detect the 'snap' of the strings
    None of these settings should ever need to go any higher than 3/4 full... difference beyond that is indiscerniable to anybody, or anything, that isn't 'bench tech' equipment.

As an additional note;
    -with the 'master' volume and 'gain' all the way down, go through some of your slapping and popping on the bass
    -bring the 'gain' up just until the overload light begins to flicker
    -raise the 'master' to "playing" level - leaving the 'gain' at "flicker" level-*

Hope this helps you out,
    michael s.
  3. TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    Hi Fat,

I've got a B2R also but my settings are always set pretty flat. (I'm not a slapper.) However, my son is. Not long ago he stumbled into my office/music room and wanted to play "my" stuff. I would'nt let him touch the amp so he changed a couple settings on my Sterling and before long he was cracking glass.

I've always believed that the amp is supposed to amplify the "sound" of the instrument. Anyway, don't underestimate the value of your instruments tone settings. BTW, I really like my B2R.

Best of Luck.
  4. Thanks mike those settings were just about pefect.