Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg b2r vs b5r...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vmac, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Vmac

Vmac

Feb 18, 2005
    What would you choose ? I don't know much about amps...also there is this guy that is selling a svt 350h but I heard mixed reviews about this one. Thanks for helping

2. Koushaku

Koushaku The artist never sleeps, only dreams

Mar 10, 2005
    Albany, NY
    b5r is more powerful, but costs more. b2r's go for cheap used these days, but they're a little wimpy (I know, I have one). If you're willing to spend the money for a b5r, get a kustom groovebass instead, I replaced my b2r with one. Even more power, for us power hungry bass players. ;)

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Or a good Traynor YBA 200- it gets closer to the SVT than any solid state or hybrid Ampeg does.

4. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I agree with both replies

Tranor YBA if you like tubes...

Kustom Groovebass if you like SS.

Dont rip yourself off with an Ampeg that wont give you enough for even medium venues.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Add to that list a GK and the Yorkie 800 watter and you got 4 awesome and unique options, all of which are probabally better than any of that pseudo Ampeg garbage.

6. Vmac

Vmac

Feb 18, 2005
    thanks for the replies. I was going for Ampeg or Mesa because I often heard they were the best, like I said in my other post, I don't know **** about amps...The last thing I want is to get ripped at a store. If I can get something equaly/better by paying the same amount I was willing to pay for a Walkabout or a B5r that would be great...btw I play in a metal/alternative band with some punk/hardcore influence and I like to have a lot of presense...if that can help

7. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yeah, I'm mostly into Progressive Hardcore (if that makes sense to anybody :p )... and I've been experimenting with my tones a lot. I've basically come to realize that my tonal preferences vary quite a bit.... from the SWR hi-fi, to the warmth of an SVT, really. As of now, I own an Ampeg V4B, but I have future plans to purchase an SWR 700x.

Ampeg and Mesa aren't satanic or anything.... they just cost you a lot more for the wrong reasons. So unless you have lots of extra cash, and REALLY REALLY want a specific tone from one of those brands... its often-times not worth it.

So basically.... try something with tubes. Head to Guitar Center and try an Ampeg SVT CL or 2Pro if they have one... and also try something like a GK. If you like the SVT more... look into the Traynor YBA. (But remember... tube heads need minor maintanence every 1-2 years) If you like the tones you can get from the GK more... maybe look into a Solidstate unit, or maybe a pre-power setup. You can definately get "growly" sounds from GK and other SS heads... its just a different type than a tube head.

Oh.... by the way, if your unfamiliar with pre-power setups, you should probably do a search. They just might be for you, if you want the most power for you money. (Under $900 for 1400Watts... brand new cost, after cables and rack. Used, possibly as low as $700 or less)

8. FYI the B2R and the SVT350h are the same amp in different housings, the B2r being rackmount and the SVT350h having its own protective enclosure.

9. Holy crap i didnt realize they were they same amp, what a crock that they charge more for a simple housing. Thanks for the info

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Oh god, here we go again. :rolleyes: Good tube heads do NOT need any maintanence every 1-2 years if you take care of them, and don't load them with mediocre tubes. They need minor maintanence maybe every 10 years or so to get the filter caps replaced, but other than that, they should keep on chugging for a long time with the same tubes. If this weren't the case, then why do you see old Sunns with the ORIGINAL tubes still chugging along 35-40 years later? :eyebrow:

11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Also, while i've found the B2R to be a weak head, the B5R is just as weak, although the distorsion channel is fun for about 5 minutes, it's pretty much just one sound and pretty unusable.