1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg B2R vs Carvin PB100-(10 and 15), and also the Fender Bassman 25

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Nov 7, 2001.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I need a little amp for the house and I see what looks like a good deal on the Ampeg B2-R. But, I am unsure if I want to drop $250 into a amp that is not a practice amp...Toegther with it's cabinet, it would end up bigger than the small practice amps I have been looking at for inside use... but it would sure have plenty of head room.

Before running into this deal, I was comparing the Carvin PB100-10, PB100-15, and the Fender Bassman 25. These are all about the same price.

Now it looks like the Ampeg setup would be too. I should mention that I have no need for a loud setup. This is strictly for in the house and my Carvin RC21018 already gives me all the hearing damage I need.

Anyways:

Carvin PB100-10 - It sounds cool. It's portable. It has a line out. Everything I need. It's $279.

Carvin PB100-15 - It sounds a bit better. It's not as portable. It has a line out. It's just $20 more.

Fender Bassman 25 - It sounds good too. Probably on par with the PB100-15, but I haven't heard them together. It is small with a cool tilt back feature. It has a line out and is $279

Ampeg B2-R - I have never heard it. It gets good reviews by many people though. It is a head, so I would have to supply a cab, which I do have. It has a line out and because it's solid state, it is small. My cab is also small... about the size of the 115 in the PB100-15. It has the most wattage, at 200w w/ 8 ohm load. It's used. I can have it for $250.

In case anyone hasn't guessed yet I suffer from chronic indecisiveness. :D Any opinions on these items are appreciated. In addition, thoughts on small combos or whatnot that I can keep in the house... within the $300 range would also be appreciated. I am leaning towards the Fender... But the closeness of the prices have me second guessing.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

*edit: corrected some weird grammar*

2. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    I'm thinking of buying a B2R soon, but i'm considering it against the SVT-3 Pro. I'm trying them out this weekend. I've never played the other 2 though...