Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B2R vs. GK 700RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassNoob?, Oct 11, 2005.

1. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    I need a new amp, because my band is starting to play bigger gigs. Right now im using an SWR 60 watt stack and it just isnt cutting it. I have $700 to spend on a head, and about $250 to spend on the cab (im going with Avatar). Which of these two amp heads is better? The Ampeg B2RE or a Gallien-Krueger 700RB II? I played them both at GC, but the guy that was "helping" me was really terrible. He would only let me hook up to a used brandless 2X10 cabinet. It sounded horrible. So what are your experiences with the heads? Thanks in advance.

2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Do a search with GK1001RB or GK700RB. Lots of good comments, some not so good. I Like mine and have a feeling others would agree its probably a better choice over the ampeg unless you need THAT sound.

You can get a Gk1001RB-II for $600 through Riksmusic.com which is now called http://www.rmcaudio.com/ Happy hunting.

3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    What kind of music do you play?

Flea uses GK (I saw him on your list of influences). If you like his tone the GK head would be a good place to start.

I own that head and it is fantastic. I run it with a pair of Aguilar GS112's and my Warwick Thumb. Excellent tone. But like anything else you need to learn to use your equipment (but I'm sure you realize that already).

:D

Joe.

P.S. I would keep your combo for a practice amp at home. That way you can keep your half-stack (one cab) or full stack (2 cabs) where you practice.

4. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    My main influence is Dirk Lance (original Incubus). Dave Eden gear is just a little over my pricerange... i know Flea plays a GK (im not that big of a noob :p) Im just looking for some of that really punchy Warwick sound. Eventually I'll get a Sansamp pre-amp to help, but for now, im starting cheap...

5. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Ah.

To get that Warwick sound you will need a Warwick bass or a modeler to do that.

Hmmm....

But getting a GK would help you along the direction you want to go I think. Turn the treble and high mids down a bit, turn the low mids up a bit and run your boost at 12 o'clock and your presence at 10 o'clock.

I think if you start there you can get a really good sound no matter what cab you have with just a little more tweaking of the mids to suit your taste, I think.

But I could be wrong.

(nah)

Joe.

6. BassNoob?

BassNoob?

Sep 18, 2005
    Redding, CT
    Your going to laugh but... I was originally saving up for a Warwick Corvette 5 string... i had the money i needed. I went to GC to buy it, and then while the guy was setting it up for me, I was playing around with the basses. One of the basses i played was an Ibanez SR505... i fell in love with it... it is the most amazing bass i've played (except for that one Ritter I played). This may sound extremly lame, but i guess i got really lucky with this bass. Everything on it matches perfectly and it feels so right to me. They had two SR505s at GC when i got this one... i played the other one to make sure i wasnt going crazy but this one was about 100X better...

After i get my amp, im going to save up for a Warwick...

EDIT: in my excitement i forgot to say thank you very much :D

7. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Hey man,

if you fell in love with it (and it lasts) then that is the bass for you, no matter what else is out there.

Don't let anybody tell you any different.

But I still think you would love the GK.

Joe.

8. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Oh, nice bass by the way.

Bart's RULE! And a Bart preamp. Nice.

I have been thinking about getting either the 4 string or the 6'er for a couple of years now.

Maybe I just nee to bite the bullet and go for it...when I get the cash.

9. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    For me, the Carvin B1500 is better than either of those. YMMV, as always.

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The B2R is extremely quiet for the power rating, whereas GK is a lot more realistic. With the GK, I think it's going to be much easier to achieve "your tone" whereas the Ampeg will have "the cliche ampeg tone millions of people have."

11. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I compared the B2R and the 700 Rb-II at washington music center.

the b2r was boring and thin sounding, no matter how much i tweaked it i hated every sound. It was always lacking "something".

the gk 700 rb was a lot more lively and full sounding, the EQ is extremely easy to use and the boost knob gives me just the kind of growl I want. Its also extremely loud.

I can sort of get a Dirk lance sound out of it. (SCIENCE or Make yourself). Just ease off the tone knob on your bass and play around with the mids like that guy was saying.

Its really a great amp.

12. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    This is the B2RE you are looking at?

100 watts more than the B2R-could be different or not.

The B2R is a good sounding amp, although a bit power shy.

I'm wondering if the B2RE really has more grunt (probably does-reason why it was created). Numbers mean nothing sometimes though.

13. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    It makes you wonder though, don't it?

With the extra 100w you would get more headroom but do watts translate into grunt?

I don't know.

Maybe it's time to start a thread on it.

I think I will.

Joe.

14. yeah, you should definetly buy the 1001rb-II with that money. you will have power beyond your belief. i compared the two in question and found that the GK was more to my liking. and for the extra dough, you might as well go with the 1001.