1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ampeg B2R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CRich0205, Oct 28, 2013.

1. CRich0205

CRich0205

Feb 17, 2013
    Kansas
    I picked one of these up a few days ago for a good price at a local pawn shop. I didn't have a chance to play it at the store so when I got it home I hooked everything up an started fiddling. This is my first real head unit and I can only turn the gain up 1/4 turn before the hum comin through my cabinet is very prominent the knobs all turn smooth and don't crackle it's just noisy. I'm lost about how to make it go away and I feel like a dork bc I'm an electrician and I'm sure this will be a grounding problem I don't understand. I still have about ten day to take it back but thought I would use the collective TB knowledge first. Thanks if you read a really long post.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Funny you say that...I had a gig in Maine on Friday and the amp they supplied me was an SVT-350, which is a B2R in an SVT-style chassis. Had the same problem. Probably not a big deal to fix but I'd take it back anyway.

3. CRich0205

CRich0205

Feb 17, 2013
    Kansas
    Funny you mention that I just read some old threads about it being a bit of a turd amp. I'll probably take it back just wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything obvious first. Thanks