Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ampeg b2r

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by trenchbass, Jun 4, 2001.

1. trenchbass

trenchbass

Jun 4, 2001
    hudson MA
    hello,

i have a queston for someone familiar with this head. ampeg b2r.

it does not seem loud enough for my band( a 4 piece (bass,guitar,drums,vocals))
    did any one else have this problem? how did you solve it?

i'm running it threw 2x15 jensen speakers (that are old)...but i used my yahamma head has a preamp and that made it loud enough but rendered my tone controls on my ampeg head useless?
    should i be using my ampeg head has preamp instead?

thank you to anyone who answers,
    -craig-

2. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    Trench,
    I've used my B2R for the last 3 yrs with a lot of success. It has been reliable and loud enough for a Blues/Geezer Rock Band. My perception of loud is within this context. Also I play through a 4 ohm cabinet that allows me to take advantage of the total 350 available watts. This rig handles most of the bar/club kinda gigs around town.

Good Luck and Welcome to talkbass.

3. trenchbass

trenchbass

Jun 4, 2001
    hudson MA
    it is loud enough so everyone can hear you or is it "in the backround kinda loud?

also are you using just the b2r? what else are you using for a signal boost?

my many thanks,
    -craig-

4. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    Trench,

It's upfront loud, against two guitarists and a drummer.

I play a Musicman Sterling *onboard eq.* through the head only. I've got a 4 ohm, 4x10 ported cabinet, that provides a nice low end, with punch. Bear in mind that bass freq. are are sorta weird ... sometimes (if there's room) I will move around ... in order to hear myself better. BTW, the music that I play, does not require me to knock down walls. YMMV. (Your milege may vary.)

Is your 2x15 homemade.?

The reason that I ask is that in a far away universe a long time ago, I used to play a "P" bass through a homemade 2x15 cabinet. Basically, it sucked. Started off I wired it so that it pulled too many ohms, I fixed that, then I found out that the size of the cabinet was wrong ... you get the idea. Bottom line: it was not very loud.

Good chance that a passive "P bass" through some 15" speakers are going to go, "thud" on the low end and not reproduce the mid-range very well, making it harder to be heard. The good news is, some people shoot for that sound.

What style of music do you play.?

5. trenchbass

trenchbass

Jun 4, 2001
    hudson MA
    no my cab is not homemade..but it is a really cheep cab..i don't know how many ohms it is...but i will soon be getting a new one(hopefully)......i play all stlyes..jazz(charlesmingus-mendeski martin &wood)..rock (tool-pink floyd-radiohead-rush)-soul(marvin gaye) hip hop( the roots) others( mr. bungle- tori amos) punk(dead kennedys- at the drive-in) and just you're basic country/folk stlyes...so alot of differnet stlye's.....i thinki might go with 4x12 or 4x10 cab..but i do want a 4 ohm cab but it seems to me that 4 ohm bass cab are kinda hard to come by( or rather their tons more 8 ohm cab's than 4 ohm's) what type of cab do you have?

if i could only thank you enough,
    -craig-

6. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I think that Ampeg makes some 4 ohm B-series 4x10 cabs, and I know that SWR and Eden do. I've been using my B2R with a StingRay and SWR 2x10 and 1x15 pro series 8-ohm cabs. With the B2R and one cab it has just enough volume to be heard over guitars and drums. With both cabs it's a lot louder and sounds much better, with enough volume for just about any gig except large outdoor shows without a P.A.

7. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    Craig,

Unless there is something wrong with it, your amp should work fine for the music you play.

Make sure that you take your bass and amp with you when you try out a new cabinet, most shop owners don't mind ... then let your ears tell you what works. There's alot of great equipment available, have some fun and check'em all out.

I have two different cabinets that I use, one is a Eden/Nemesis N210-P (2x10) for rehearsal/practice/small places (read light weight) and a Ampeg Svt-410-hlf for most gigs (heavy).

When you get famous let someone else worry about the volume and sound, :) and if they don't do the job right ... fire them.

Tony

8. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    For a short period I played a B2R through an Eden D410XLT, their double ported 4x10 cab. It sounded great. It was an 8 ohm cab so it wasn't extremely loud, but I'm sure it would have taken paint off of walls with a 4 ohm. What I'm getting at is give Eden a look when you try out cabs, to me they have more bottom end than Ampeg cabs. All the Ampeg cabs I've been able to play through haven't been ported and that makes a huge difference in bottom end response.

9. berserk

berserk

Aug 24, 2000
    Parma, Ohio
    my rig, like TonyS' rig is an Ampeg B2R head with a Ampeg svt 410 hlf cabinet. It is able to handle all the stuff ive ever played very well, with regards to volume. The cab is a 4 ohm cab. It is the larger of the two svt ampeg 4-10 cabinets and therefore easily handles bottom end while retaining its punch, my five string sounds like a dream through it :) It is rated to a max of 500 watts and will easily get very loud with the B2R head. At half master volume from my basement I vibrated my brothers tv off its stand on the other side of the 1st floor (he caught it by the way). I cant forsee ever needing more volume than I have. Though I thought upgrading to a B4R and adding another 410 hlf cab might be fun for stereo effects :D

10. trenchbass

trenchbass

Jun 4, 2001
    hudson MA
    well i thank you all for you're thought's..i guess ishould have said fromthe begining that i was in the process of upgrading my setup..i just get all worried when that %&^%# red gain light goes on..i thank you all for you're assistance it will come in handy(especially all that talk about cabs)....

thank you all and till next time,
    -Trenchbass-