Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B2R

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirk, Jul 12, 2001.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Hey guys, Just as I was about to satiate my GAS temporarily by purchasing an MIM P Bass, I find a used Ampeg B2R for 349? I've considered this amp a lot but I've never played it before. This is a really good price and I can't see myself needing a lot more power than this ever, especially withe Genz Benz 6 10 I want to pair it with eventually. The only thing is I've never played this head or any other ampeg head, so I don't know if I should get it or not b/c I may not like the sound. I play alternative rock and punk stuff. I'm also into blues and a little jazz and funk stuff. I know Ampeg's reputation for rock and blues, but what about Jazz and Funk slap stuff. I'm also about to start playing in my church's praise band which will probably include a wide variety of styles. Is this the amp for me, just considering specs and my musical styles. I really want the MIM P, but it's easy to find them, and I don't think B2R come around for 349 everyday. If I don't get this head, then I'll probably get the bass, just b/c I want some new gear. Thanks for your opinions.

2. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    Dirk,
    Do a search on B2R, there have been several discussions here regarding them. FWIW, I've been using one for almost 3 years and have found it to be a great all-round amp.

Best Wishes

3. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I lucked out and found a used B248 (discontinued) which is the B2 head in a combo with 4 eights and a tweeter.It came with a Tuki cover and I got it for $350.At 4 ohms it puts out 350 watts,so to get there I run my Bag End 15 with it and it sounds very good.You will enjoy it.

4. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    That B2R was sold. So I guess I'm getting the P Bass. It'll only be a couple of hours before I go down to the store and give them my hard earned cash for some new gear. I've decided that I want an Ampeg rig, so I've decided to save up my money until I turn 18 in February and get the Musicians Friend card and finance it. So while I'm here, what is everyone's opinion on the SVT series of cabs, particularly the 210 and the 115? They seem to be priced decently.

Dirk

5. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    I like the SVT cabinets.

However, the 210 HE boxes do not carry the low end freq.'s real well by themselves. The people that have the best success, stick a 1x15 or 1x18 under those cabinets and get a great big sound. Personally, I think your better off with the 1x15 cabinet than the the SVT210.

If your looking for a single stand-alone cabinet, look into the extended range boxes.I have a SVT410HLF and it handles a Low E Great, and does a Good job on a "B" string. Ampeg has a large selection to choose from. Have some fun an check out as many as you can.

Good Hunting

6. I just don't think you can go wrong with any Ampeg...even their little BA series combos have great tone. Ampeg amps just sound like bass amps should.

7. The B2R's a fine beast - it can hold it's own in a fairly loud environment, but you'll be maxing it a bit (i've since had to upgrade from mine because of that...)

I've been running mine with an SVT410HLN as well (tight and low), and it kicks with an 810.
    The graphic EQ is tasty, and it's relatively lightweight.
    Well worth $350 if you stumble on one (mine cost me $400 used).