ampeg b2r ????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by warwickben, Apr 2, 2002.

1. i really really want a ampeg head and i been looking at the b2r .i really cant find any info on how good or bad it is.i also plan on running it in to my 4x10 till i get a ampeg 8x10 or 4x10.would this be loud.

also i planed on useing the line out on the ampeg and hook it up to my cravin 100 watt 15 inch combo. but i would bypass the carvin preamp so i would be just using the power amp. so i would have 100 watts going to the 15 inch and the 4x10 would be getting all the power from the ampeg amp. is this a good idea
  2. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
  3. arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    I recently played through two of them at music stores. I found them to be dull and lifeless; I couldn't get any real bottom to them. Both were played through Ampeg single 15 cabinets -- that is, one cabinet with each of the two B2R's. One of the store's owners said he didn't like that amp, either - his least favorite Ampeg.
  4. here is my experience with a B2-RL - the rehearsal studio my band uses had one of these hooked up to a Ampeg 410HLF (4 ohm cab). Used my MP Level 5 straight into it, no effects, flat eq.

We play rock covers and aren't unbearably loud.

The amp was disappointing, shut down twice during a 2hr rehearsal. Sound quality was good - nothing to write home about but the reliability was suspect. I wasn't driving it terribly hard and don't even think I used my B string that night.

May have been a QC fluke but the next week the studio had replaced it with a GK800RB.

I know this is a sample size of one and Harmony reviews are generally positive - if you get a chance to try one, really do take it through its paces and try out in a band setting.
  5. so the ampeg b2r rack head isnt that the svt3 pro any good i want to get a ampeg thats i can rack mount and get off ebay for not that much money. also i want to hear more about the b2r.
  6. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    If you're gonna get the B-series heads get either a B4R or the B5R. The B5R is pretty much the B2R with a 2 ohms configuration instead of just 4 ohms. The B4R is like SVT-4 'cept solid state I believe.
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If you can't find info on it HERE in the amps section, you weren't looking. :rolleyes:

<a href="">CLICK HERE</a>
  8. crud19

Sep 26, 2001
    The B2R is an okay head (bear in mind I am not a fan of solid state). I have one as a backup. The SVT 3-Pro is superior all the way around. It's the best sounding Ampeg I've hear short of a B15 or SVT-CL. If you absolutely must own an Ampeg but can't afford a SVT 3-Pro, then go for the B2R. I'd advise saving your money, though...
  9. i think i going to get ampeg svt 3.but i have to get it off ebay o well.
  10. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois

Just to show the opposite side of the coin.... I bought an SVT3pro and couldn't stand the distorted tone I always got. I traded it in 2 weeks later form an Ampeg B4r (same amp as B2r with 2x power amps) and couldn't be happier. Big upgrade in tone and power imo.
  11. In a loud 5-piece setting, my B2R into an SVT410HLN was gutless. Into an SVT810 was much nicer. Never had a problem with reliability, and this was a used original model (I think it was the 8th ever made).

But, the B2R doesn't really do the "Ampeg" sound well. Doesn't go that low, kinda disappointing midrange, and runs out of power quickly. Compared to a V4B, SVT-CL or any of the hybrid SVTs, it stinks IMO.
  12. I've got a B2r in my shop, and as others have said, it's not a good model. Definitely lacking in power, no way it's 350watts.
  13. I like mine just fine . Bought it about a year ago as a back up/small gig amp . I drive a Bag end S12d & S15d with it and its plenty loud for the average size clubs my band plays. I can only say that I chose it over several other solid state heads in its wattage and price range.
  14. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    How come all the less 'expensive' ampegs suck for volume? I want one except I can't afford an SVT-2, 4 or 5 or the B4R for that matter... Wouldn't it be cheaper to get an SVP-Pro and a Carvin poweramp?
  15. I'll say the SVT-Pro III is NOT a good amp, but the B2R is a very good amp, IMHO/IME. I think it sounds every bit as good as the 1971 V4B I owned, and is louder and produces lows and highs better.

I think those that don't like it are playing through cabs that they just don't like. There ARE differences in the sounds of heads, but the difference is not that great, and I've played lots.

I say go for the B2r....
  16. i cant make up my mind. like half the people say the head is great then the othere half says it sucks.
  17. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    i hate that head. seriously. IMO poor sound, it sounds like its only "imitating" an ampeg, and isnt the real thing. also, the reliability in my experience is horrible. I plugged into one at a store once, as soon as i hit the B it shut down. according to the store manager (idiot) it was "my bass" so i tried one off the wall. same thing. this happened 5 or 6 times in 20 minutes, every time i would play a note below (low) D. apparently its always "the bass" meaning that you cant play below D on this head?!? I say if you want an ampeg, get an SVT, and get it with lots of tubes. if you must have a solid state poweramp, get an SVTP preamp, and get a good quality poweramp to match.

btw the cab was an ampeg classic series 810. so i dont think that this was the culprit for the horrible sounds that eminated. Ive played shows with an 810 classic, and a 70's STV (all tube) head. that sounded great.
  18. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    SRSiegel, I agree with you on the fact that, except in case of a dead speaker, a SVT-810E CANNOT be held for responsible of a crappy sound.

Over many reviews, opinions and advices, I could read many bad things about two Ampeg heads :

- B-2R : lack of power and poor tone (and I confirm it does NOT have that rich Ampeg tone),
    - SVT-3PRO : lack of reliability (but I could not experience this by myself).

Just like this were a pure coincidence, these are the two cheapest Ampeg heads.

Oppositely to many manufacturers, it's a pity to notice that Ampeg seem to do the very minimal effort for their cheapest products, though they are often pricey, comparing to products from other brands.

Fortunately, when you go with an all-tube SVT (CL or 2-PRO), or eventually with a 4-PRO, you get rich tone, power and reliability.

I don't know the US prices, but here in France, a SVT-4PRO is 2.5 x the price of a B-2R, and 1.5 x that of a SVT-3PRO.

In my very humble opinion, for the price of a B-2R, I'd go with something from another brand.

All the best,