1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ampeg B2RE Flea Tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TeenZombie01, May 14, 2006.

1. TeenZombie01

TeenZombie01

May 14, 2006
    I use an Ampeg B2RE and I was wondering what settings I could dial in to get as close to Flea's tone as possible with the Ampeg B2RE. I prefer his tone on Californication and any album after that, but any help with his tone on any album would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    sell it and by a gk?:bag:

3. Name Changed

Name Changed Banned

Apr 22, 2006
    Sarasota,FLORIDA
    first if you are using an active bass, center all the eq knobs, if you have a neck and a bridge roll the pan off to the bridge about a quarter( its all depending on how your bass changes)
    Now, turn the bass on the ampeg about half way from center to max, and then roll your mid knob a quarter left from the center.

if you use the graphic eq, try to start with the bass at plus 5db and sweep it down to 1khz, and then scoop it from there to 4khz and set the rest flat. hope this helps.

4. Bridge pickup dominant, boost the bass, scoop the mids keeping the treble flat

Not going to nail it without a stingray-esque or J bass-esqu setup through a GK tho

5. Name Changed

Name Changed Banned

Apr 22, 2006
    Sarasota,FLORIDA
    Hey i beat you to it.:hyper: Do my directions and you will be goofin it like flea.

6. You didnt beat me to it, i simplified what you were saying

7. Name Changed

Name Changed Banned

Apr 22, 2006
    Sarasota,FLORIDA
    Yeah i know.:D

8. Personally i think boosting the treble would help, but thats just your run of the mill EQing for slap

I recon the ultra high, if the B2RE has it would be good to have engaged

9. Name Changed

Name Changed Banned

Apr 22, 2006
    Sarasota,FLORIDA
    yeah, except we dont even now what cabs or bass teenzombie is using. And flea used to go with an ultra bright setup tone back in the 90s but now he is going for a more modern tone cuz since the mainstream bass players seem to all go for a scooped sound these days so, he is conforming. :bassist:

10. Im going to disagree, because in the majority of band situations the scooped sound just doesnt work well at all, mid boost is where its at, but this isnt a question about that

And as flea uses both 10's and 15's i dont think it matters what kind of speakers teenzombie01 has

11. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    get naked and put a sock on your junk jump around like a monkey slappin your bass with the treble and bass boosted and get an active bass

12. TeenZombie01

TeenZombie01

May 14, 2006
    I play an original '72 Jazz Bass With a Bad Ass II Bridge and active Seymour Duncan pickups. Right now I only have one cabinet. It is a homemade cabinet with a 15" JBL. It is kind of old so it is not very great quality but I getting a new cab soon, I was thinking of going with some kind of Ampeg SVT410, not sure which model yet though. Either Ampeg or GK as far as cabinet choices go. Anyone reccomend anything for a cleaner tone? I don't like to use a distorted tone very much, and I have heard what cabinet you have can affect that a lot.

Oh and I forgot to mention I am not looking for Flea's like slap tone, just his very clean finger tone. Like that on Californication, By The Way, and Stadium Arcadium.

13. You ddont really get a clean tone from ampeg's, well, you do, its just not what i would class as really clean

14. TeenZombie01

TeenZombie01

May 14, 2006
    He seemed to get a good clean tone when he played on De-Loused In The Comatorium for The Mars Volta.

15. Maybe just different definitions of clean, to me SWR and Eden are the types of manufacturer to go with if you like clean