Ampeg B2RE Head Woes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jayrod75, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Jayrod75

Jayrod75

Jan 24, 2009
    Hi all, I recently bought an Ampeg B2RE Head and 410 HLF Classic cab to go with it. My Bass is an Ibanez 5 string with active Bartolini pickups/eq. The issue is volume/headroom, the thing clips and just doesn't seem to have the power to cut through. I play in a hard rock band with one guitar player and drummer, this is my first experience with Ampeg stuff and Im a bit disappointed. I like the sound but it doesnt seem to have the power. I saw a few posts where guys were saying the GK 700 - 1001 RB would be a better choice, anyone have one of those paired with my cab? thoughts????:confused:

2. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

Sep 16, 2007
    i played one the other day, and with you on the disappointed front it was very quiet with the volume at 1/4, isn't there larger version? the b4e?

the gk is nice and loud! 400w at 8 ohms i think?

andy

3. B1500, $650.

4. Sub5ound

Sub5ound Inactive

Sep 6, 2008
    Catskills, New York
    Dude, I owned one too. Same deal. BUT, I think the bigger issue lies with the 4x10. Ampeg says that the b2re is the matching head for this cabinet, but I think they are full of it. I think the head has too much output for the flimsy speakers ampeg puts in there.
    I never had a problem when I used it with my 8x10....but ALWAYS with the Ampeg 4x10.
    See if you can try it on a more powerful cabinet.

5. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Sounds like you will probably get rid of it. Here's a few tips to buy you some time.

1. Master on full and control your volume with your pregain. This amp remains clean, so this will get the most out of your power amp.

2. Turn off the limiter

3. Engage the eq volume and use a bit of boost where necessary.

6. The B2re's big brother is the B4r I have one, it goes great with my 8x10E, I also think it would be great with a 6x10HLF, the 4x10 HLF is a hog for juice, and while the G-K amps would pump more than the B2re, I think it would be a better match with a 4x10HE (rewired to 4 Ohms), but before you spend money you might not have to, try the suggestions that Lync made in the post above me. All the best. Cheers.

7. I had exactly the same experience with the same head. It was a few years ago, and i bought it new for pretty much the same price i bought my v8 for. In the end i wasn't prepared to lug around the speakers that it would've needed to be loud enough.

Having said that I'm sure you'd be able to conquer 90% of your gigs with that running through a PA.. is there a way you can manage for best results through rehearsals?

8. Jayrod75

Jayrod75

Jan 24, 2009
    I think he touched on something there, from what I know about the HLF cab its main deal is that it is ported through the front in such a way to allow more low end bass responce. That being said I figured this would work good for me playing 5 string, but it doesn't respond well to the low b string. I did actually try the advice on settings and that gets me through the rehearsals barely. I basically have the master cranked and the pre almost cranked with pad off and limiter off as well. What is the best match head for the 410HLF Cab should I upgrade to the 610?

9. doobeye

doobeye

Jun 3, 2008
    Moorpark, CA
    the B2RE was my very first head and I also own the 410 Hlf. they're both great pieces of equipment but sure, the lack in headroom is a bit of a disappointment. thats why i sold mine for $345 and bought a early 70's Ampeg V4B for $350! I'm no longer a fan of any solid state amps with the exception of Sunn gear. If you're on a budget upgrade to the warm tube sound you get from a V4B if you can find one. the Hlf cab is pretty solid in my opinion and I've never considered selling it, it can handle tons of power so if I were you I would just get a new head.

10. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    It sounds like you really actually bought too little amplifier.

That is 450W, but the B series is "just barely" the 450, when SVT series is 'solidly" its rating...

The 450 is close to the minimum credible power anyway, although some amps make better use of it by giving fewer options..... The EQ is one good way to lose power......

Which is another good way to lose power...... put it all into the fundamental note with a 5 string, when using a relatively low powered amp..... The fundamental isn't heard well, but it does use power up. You need to have the fundamental FELT not heard, and that takes a lot more power.

So you want clarity and punch at high volume, with loud extreme lows, coming from a cab which goes low but isn't as efficient, and possibly you were cranking in some EQ boost on the lows???? AND using a fairly low-powered amp?

And you were disappointed?

No surprise there.

Raising the lows is basically the same thing as setting up a "scooped smile" on the EQ, just tilted a bit....... And the "scoop" is one way to suck all the volume and clarity out of your tone......

With limited power you HAVE to put it where it counts, and that is going to be the higher bass notes, and harmonics, stuff that can be heard, not just felt......

Unfortunately the HLF is probably NOT the cabinet for that at your power level.

11. Jayrod75

Jayrod75

Jan 24, 2009
    Man, I should of done my homework a bit more before I pulled the trigger!! Well Im gonna try out a GK1001 RB on my cab, Ive heard enough good things about 'em to give it a run. Its tough, I didn't get the full picture on the B2RE until I hit rehearsal with it. That being said I did play a small club gig with it and it held its ground, Ill probably keep it for a backup 'cause I do like the sound of it in a smaller room. Thanks for all the help, wish I would of checked in earlier...Im such an impulse buyer...Ughhh

12. Sub5ound

Sub5ound Inactive

Sep 6, 2008
    Catskills, New York
    I still think it's the cab giving you the problem, or more, the combination of the two. I just don't think it's a good match. Headroom didnt seem to be an issue when I ran it through my 8x10. The volume just wasnt there, but there was no clipping. EVERY time I played one of these through a hlf 410, it farted out. Is this the Ampeg "sound"? I will say though, that the brief time I played it through my Hartke 410vx, it never farted, nor did it clip.

13. that cab loves gk heads. the had the same issue ill never use another ampeg solid state head ever again.

14. makinbakin

makinbakin

Jan 19, 2009
    I have the same head and had the same issues. I've found that you can fix it by getting a better cab. I'd say get another cab that runs at 4ohms.

You will have the same issues if you try to crank it to the max, but you wont need to put the volume nearly as high to be heard with clarity with no clipping issues.

Also, turning off the EQ with the [email protected] seemed to help a bit.

15. the hlf is a 4ohm cab

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    The cab's fine - it's that head that's the problem - overrated, under powered, over-priced POS is the best description I can give of the B2R and B2RE...

- georgestrings

17. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    How is your EQ set? I use to crank the bass knob, scoop the mids, and thought lack of power was the issue.

18. Jayrod75

Jayrod75

Jan 24, 2009
    I do the ole smile from top to bottom... I usually have the bass about half way and I can cut or boost a bit from my on board EQ, the mids are about half and I fine tune from my bass if I need to or want to.. I like the ultramid it gives it a cool sound I think. Im gonna see if my local GC has a GK1001RB. I wanna hit it with some power and see what happens.

19. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    As in smiley face EQ? That was enough to make my goliath 4x10 with 750 watts sounder quieter than my GK 1x12 combo. Try leaving the EQ flat. If you want more low end you might want to try a tube or hybrid head. I found the solid state heads didn't give me the booty I was after as well.

20. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    You can't wire an 8 ohm cab to 4 ohms...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021