Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ampeg B2RE New C Stock - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deanthemachine, May 3, 2005.

1. deanthemachine

deanthemachine

May 3, 2005
    Im looking towards purchasing a new amp to play smaller gigs, and I cam across this thing.

http://www.music123.com/Ampeg-B2RE-i224351.music#rec_items

Was wondering if this would be a good amp for me. Im currently using a yorlville 100-watt and it just doesnt get the job done anymore. I play in a rock band, with 2 guitarist, drummer, and singer. THey wanna start playing shows, so I need a new anp soon.

2. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think it's a pretty decent deal. They say the C-stock is pretty much used, but with full warranty. That's all I really worry about when buying used gear anyway. That it'll hang in there for the long haul. And now you have Ampeg's 5 year warranty behind it.

As far as an amp, my first head was a B5R and was pretty rockin' for a small rig. I liked it a lot and only upgraded because I outgrew it. But I liked the sound a lot. The B2R is only a slight bit different with more EQ options but no crazy overdrive knobs. No big deal. If I were looking for a first gig rig, I'd probably buy this now 450w B2R version.

The only other thoughts I had were price. You can typically find older B2R units and even some B5R's out there on the used market at around $300-$350 or even less. I sold mine for about $300. Yup, a bit more inexpensive then the C-stock one, but you may or may not have that warranty still active. Or know for sure how long. That's the only thing that would make it worth it for me to buy it C-stock for around $450.

Cool amp though...I liked it when I had it...

-T

3. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    There's honestly way better options, because you'll outgrow that head fairly quickly.

None of Ampeg's B-series heads are worth a new purchase, in my mind. If I were you, I'd look for a B2R on eBay. That extra 100Watts they added onto it probably barely makes a difference... and I GUARANTEE you it doesnt make a $200 difference.

If I were in your spot I'd get a friggon GrooveBass, since your lookin at spending that much. Its tone is about on pace with the B-Series, yet a bit different.... while its reliability is (so far) decent. And you will likely never outgrow it, since it can push out a max of 1200Watts.... at the amazing price of about $500, mind you.

Or, you could go Pre-Power for $600 new, pending on what gear you purchase. Used... possibly $400. You'd be looking at a Sansamp or BMax as your preamp... and probably a QSC RMX850 as your poweramp. Again... you wouldnt outgrow that for a LONG time and its way more diverse.